osu pre-req & speech class ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Duke07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was looking at Ohio State's website and it said it requires 15 hrs of General Chem. How is that possible? I thought all general chem courses were 2 semesters, 4 credits each. I know a lot of you applied... what did you to fulfill that?

Additionally, several other schools have speech/technical writing requirements. I graduated with a BA and I never had to take those classes. It seems silly to take them now, particularly as I worked for a year as a newspaper journalist. Do you know if these can be waived, because they seem more like necessities if you are applying without a degree.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I was looking at Ohio State's website and it said it requires 15 hrs of General Chem. How is that possible? I thought all general chem courses were 2 semesters, 4 credits each. I know a lot of you applied... what did you to fulfill that?

Additionally, several other schools have speech/technical writing requirements. I graduated with a BA and I never had to take those classes. It seems silly to take them now, particularly as I worked for a year as a newspaper journalist. Do you know if these can be waived, because they seem more like necessities if you are applying without a degree.

Thanks!

OSU is on a quarter system, so it's 15 quarter hours, not semester hours (that's why all their numbers are funny multiples of three).

As for the speech requirements, some schools waive certain requirements if you have a degree - it depends on the school so check those out.

And one more thing - you can use outrageous prereqs as a method to narrow down the schools you will apply to. Some schools have prereqs that I swear you can only complete if you did your undergrad at that school.

Hey all,

Thanks!

OSU is on the quarter system. So they require approximately 8 semester hours of gen chem.

Auburn I know waives these requirements if you have a degree....Illinois might as well, but I can't remember. I was a college journalist and still had to take speech for NCSU after I graduated. It sucks, but you might have to. It's worth looking into being able to skip it. Let everyone know what you find out. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
And one more thing - you can use outrageous prereqs as a method to narrow down the schools you will apply to. Some schools have prereqs that I swear you can only complete if you did your undergrad at that school.

Thanks for the replies. I know what you mean about some of these pre-reqs. I have to take econ this winter because NCSU requires two semesters of it - ugh.

I'll let yall know if I find out more about the speech pre-reqs, too.

Iowa State has an oral communications requirement which I was able to fulfill with a random class. My class was listed in the microbiology department (a wildly inappropriate classification for it) but it was more of a sociology class and a huge portion of the grade came from class discussion and presentations. So they OKed it as oral communications for me. I did have to send them a course description and all to accomplish this, though.

Bottom line is what others have said...if you're interested in a school, definitely call and see if they're flexible about what class/type of class fulfills it. Some are and some aren't.

These are the schools I've found so far that will waive certain credits if you have a BA/BS, if anyone else is interested. I just found the info on the AAVMC website, but I plan on calling some of the others to ask after exams.

Auburn - waives pre-calc, English composition, Lit, fine arts, humanities & social science credits

Illinois - don't need composition, humanities or social science

Oregon State - don't need English, public speaking, humanities, social science (does anyone know why the entering class is so small? Only 48 students!)

WSU - no non-science pre-reqs if have bachelor's

Hope this helps anyone who also had questions about certain pre-reqs. I'm going to hit the phones after exams, but I've definitely procrastinated enough for now!

Duke, thanks for the update on that.

I'm a non-trad and getting all the sciences courses I need seems to be easy enough but all these other oddball courses are kind of killing me. English wasn't required for my undergrad an now I need to find a way to scrape up 2 semesters of it. :(