OSU vs. University of Pittsburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letmein4000

Reaction score
I'm having a really hard time choosing between these two schools. I have no idea what specialty I'd like to go into, I want to keep my options open.

Ohio State University
Pros
  • In-state tuition/low COA (still ~50k in loans/year)
  • Great vibes during interview day, immediately felt like I'd fit in
  • 1.5 preclinical years, integrated curriculum
  • Super early clinical exposure which continues regularly through the preclinical years (preceptorship)
  • Opportunity for more scholarship after the first year

Cons
  • lower ranked than Pitt (still a good school)
  • no required research (I'm not super passionate about research, but important for residency match)
  • P/F but also has quartiles

University of Pittsburgh
Pros
  • T20, great school/prestige
  • Abundant research, required longitudinal research project
  • Virtual second look was impressive and the faculty seems very supportive of students
  • Great match list
  • Cool simulated patient stuff (WISER)
  • True P/F

Cons
  • Not a great vibe on interview day
  • More expensive (~74k in loans/year)
  • More traditional curriculum, 2 years preclinical

Summary: Overall got a better vibe at OSU immediately, but I think I could be happy at either school, unsure how much $ vs. prestige matters here

Members don't see this ad.

OSU's cost of attendance balloons up to ~74K a year in Year 3/Year 4 due to an added semester.

With that being said OSU would still run around 50K cheaper with no added scholarship over the 4 years. Pitt would give you the overall advantage in the match, and it has a phenomenal reputation all throughout the United States. If you're gunning for top-notch residency positions or competitive specialties, I think Pitt would be the choice. If not, then go where you'd feel happiest.