OSUCOM vs. Western COMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureinhealth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice or comparisons would be much appreciated, thanks! This is a really tough decision for me.

Members don't see this ad.

I personally would roll with OSU-COM. Seems like an amazing program and is state-funded with plenty of strong hospital affiliations and research opportunities. However, if you want to stay in CA, then go with COMP.

Well, I'm going to COMP so obviously that's the better choice. I'm kidding of course. They're both great schools from what I've gathered. Your decision should probably be based on geographic preference and total cost.

Members don't see this ad :)
Current student at COMP, couldn't be happier with me decision. Great students, great faculty, nice weather, good reputation, nice match lists.

Reactions: 4 users
OSU. hard to go wrong with a big 12, state-funded school. It will also make the "where do you go to school" question far easier.

great points. Western is definitely more expensive, but good location, weather, and a good match list. OSUCOM gets very cold, but has an affiliate teaching hospital, small class size, and research opportunities. It is definitely tough, but I am now leaning more towards OSUCOM. Thanks guys :)

Well, I'm going to COMP so obviously that's the better choice. I'm kidding of course. They're both great schools from what I've gathered. Your decision should probably be based on geographic preference and total cost.

Thanks for the reply, geographically Western is nicer (close to beach mountains and good weather). Total Cost estimated by OSUCOM is $68,719.79 per year and is $80,283.00 per year for Western, so OSUCOM would be cheaper. :( based on these two factors, I am still in a dilemma though for small class size and an affiliate hospital, I am leaning more towards OSUCOM. What do you/you guys think? Thanks a lot. I really appreciate the help. :)

I don't feel that my class size affects my learning or my ability to interact personally with the faculty. And the faculty we see often know most of not everyone's name in the class. I wouldn't make class size a deciding factor.

Reactions: 1 user
Even being OOS, you'll pay $48k less at OSU?! California dreamin is crazy expensive.

I don't think being too cold should be a worry. Too hot and windy, however...

Those estimates are if you take out max loans. SoCal would undoubtedly be a higher cost of living I wager.

Basically, where is the best fit?

Those estimates are if you take out max loans. SoCal would undoubtedly be a higher cost of living I wager.

Basically, where is the best fit?

One schools pros is the others con, visa versa. It makes it harder to choose. Moving to western is easier since the weather is predictable and I have friends in the area to help. but I have made connections at OSUCOM already and the students are really nice and willing to help there too. it is just a further move. OSUCOM seem to have a better reputation overall but western has a good reputation on the west coast. Not sure if I'll get used to the weather in Tulsa but I am willing to try. but I know there will still be hard times, especially cause med school will be grueling and stressful. I feel like I will fit in both places, just in different ways. the more I look at it, the more I feel that I need to just choose one and never look back. o_O scary thought though...

One schools pros is the others con, visa versa. It makes it harder to choose. Moving to western is easier since the weather is predictable and I have friends in the area to help. but I have made connections at OSUCOM already and the students are really nice and willing to help there too. it is just a further move. OSUCOM seem to have a better reputation overall but western has a good reputation on the west coast. Not sure if I'll get used to the weather in Tulsa but I am willing to try. but I know there will still be hard times, especially cause med school will be grueling and stressful. I feel like I will fit in both places, just in different ways. the more I look at it, the more I feel that I need to just choose one and never look back. o_O scary thought though...
No one gets used to the weather in OK, it's much too inconsistent lol.

If you do choose OSU, be sure to join the facebook group if you haven't already.