OT and DPT admissions - newbie

Started by es888w
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

es888w

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have searched this forum for every message on OT and DPT schools and feedbacks and found no answer to my questions, so please be patient with me. I looked at the definition and job outlook, earnings, etc. from the US Dept. of Labor and found that OTs and PTs job earnings are very comparable, with OTs making about $5K less. So here's my quandary:

I live in MD, and there are 2 schools offering the DPT program, U Maryland Baltimore (UMB) and U Maryland Easter Shore (UMES). There's also 1 school offering the MS degree in OT, Towson U. I am planning to apply to UMB and UMES but in case I don't get accepted, I want to apply to Towson U OT program as a fallback position (Towson U's deadline is also later than the 2 UM schools). Any comment or feedback on this plan?

I really want a DPT or at least an MPT degree, so here's my alternative plan: if I go to Towson U for one year, then reapply to UMB and UMES, does anyone see any problem with this plan (this is assuming I don't get accepted to UMB or UMES the first time around) Thanks for your feedback! ES.
 
OT and PT are quite different in education. I would decide if you want to be an OT or PT.