OT and DPT admissions - newbie

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

es888w

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have searched this forum for every message on OT and DPT schools and feedbacks and found no answer to my questions, so please be patient with me. I looked at the definition and job outlook, earnings, etc. from the US Dept. of Labor and found that OTs and PTs job earnings are very comparable, with OTs making about $5K less. So here's my quandary:

I live in MD, and there are 2 schools offering the DPT program, U Maryland Baltimore (UMB) and U Maryland Easter Shore (UMES). There's also 1 school offering the MS degree in OT, Towson U. I am planning to apply to UMB and UMES but in case I don't get accepted, I want to apply to Towson U OT program as a fallback position (Towson U's deadline is also later than the 2 UM schools). Any comment or feedback on this plan?

I really want a DPT or at least an MPT degree, so here's my alternative plan: if I go to Towson U for one year, then reapply to UMB and UMES, does anyone see any problem with this plan (this is assuming I don't get accepted to UMB or UMES the first time around) Thanks for your feedback! ES.

Members don't see this ad.

OT and PT are quite different in education. I would decide if you want to be an OT or PT.