General Admissions & OTCAS OT Cycle 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTstudent1311

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I am new to joining the forum, but I have been watching it for a while now! I will be going into my senior year of undergrad this fall (graduating in May 2021), and am trying to avoid a gap year. I know a lot of programs accept applications when you are still in undergrad as long as you complete your degree by the time the MOT or OTD program begins. I have also heard that it is not as desirable and harder to get into if you apply still in your undergrad. I was hoping somebody had some insight or experience with this!

Thank you in advance and congratulations to everyone getting in currently! I hope to be in your position soon!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I was an applicant during the 2019-2020 cycle! Myself and many other students I have met on her are still in undergrad, applied, and got into the program they most wanted. I did too! I applied to programs during my last semester of school fall 2019 and then graduated early this past December. Many schools understand undergrads applying to grad school within their last year - many applicants within their programs do. My program starts in May, so it’s like I would have graduated in April anyway and started in the fall (in a traditional college picture haha).

I had one to two courses pending because I was taking them in my last semester and I still accepted to four programs! It is possible. Don’t be discouraged. Some people take a gap year because it is best for them - and it sounds like what’s best for you is to start grad school a few months after you graduate next Spring.

Starting early is great - especially when you need recommendations for programs and waiting for transcripts to come through. Message me if you any questions or concerns when applying! OTCAS can feel overwhelming at times - it took me awhile to make sense of everything. You are doing a great job staying ahead of the curve so far!

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user