OT school wasn’t what I expected is SLP for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SarahT97

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was in a BS/MS OT program and decided to switch out because of many factors, including the set up of the program. I had spent the first 2 years of college doing my prerequisite courses and last semester started OT school, but until this fall I had no idea what OT’s did. I was more interested in the cognitive aspect of the therapy and loved my mental health job shadow experience. The program also greatly discouraged me from continuing because of my documented disability which made it more difficult for me to use and understand the goniometer. Right now I am so discouraged from pursing OT. Have other people had this problem or was it just the program I was in? How important is goniometry and Mannual muscle testing?
I am exploring speech because I feel I have good communication skills, but I am wondering if I will meet the same obstacles in both training and the profession?How much fine a gross motor skills are involved in speech?

Members don't see this ad.

You had "no idea what OTs did" until recently? Did you talk to a bunch of OTs and shadow a few, before embarking on the degree? If not, don't repeat the same mistake with SLP. Aim, aim, aim, before pulling the trigger.

Reactions: 1 user