wordsworth

15+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2004
Status (Visible)
ok, a little off topic, but i had a question about smoking. i know that smoking impair the function of the cilia in the throat, but by which mechanism does it do so? is it the poisons that disable the cilia? or does the extreme heat from the smoke itself damage the cilia? a combination of both and other stuff?

Dr JPH

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2000
www.pcom.edu
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Both. It also clumps up the cilia with all the tarry deposits that are in the smoke so the cilia move less easily. The carcinogens also damage the epithelium which can result in loss of cilia or damage to cilia.

texdrake

Stand-Up Philosopher
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2003
Ohio or Texas
home.earthlink.net
Status (Visible)
yep, the heat does as well.

smoking --:> Heart Disease

smoking --:> Cancer

smoking --:> Stroke

smoking --:> Respiratory dysfunction

smoking --:> pot --:> drugs (really...its true, how many pots smokers do you know that don't smoke cancer sticks? and how many drug users do you know that don't do pot?)

Smoking is THE major risk factor in the top four causes of death in the US, DONT SMOKE

About the Ads

wordsworth

15+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2004
Status (Visible)
i've never planned on or have even smoked before, i just find it irritating that none of the sources on the web describe all the mechanisms by which smoking causes damage to the lungs and trachea (my friend has bronchitis, and i would just like to explain how it exactly happens). all the websites say "smoking damages the cilia which causes mucus buildup..etc." but they never go more in depth than that.

Chrisobean

The Killer Bean
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2003
trying to get some sleep
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by texdrake

smoking --:> pot --:> drugs (really...its true, how many pots smokers do you know that don't smoke cancer sticks? and how many drug users do you know that don't do pot?)

many, actually

but that's neither here nor there

turkdlit

Superstar DJ
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2003
Status (Visible)

Hey guys, did you know that all pot smokers eventually end up selling themselves to dirty pimps for a tiny rock of crack?!! It true, my mommy and daddy told me so!

cooldreams

American Mensa Member :)
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2003
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by texdrake
yep, the heat does as well.

smoking --:> Heart Disease

smoking --:> Cancer

smoking --:> Stroke

smoking --:> Respiratory dysfunction

Smoking is THE major risk factor in the top four causes of death in the US, DONT SMOKE

well... it MAY be an indirect reason, but actually, the highest cause of death in the grand ole US of A is MEDICAL MALPRACTICE!

:) have a wonderful, doctors hehehehe :p

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.