1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

OT: Switching to vegetarian diet

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by psilovethomas, Aug 3, 2011.

1. psilovethomas

psilovethomas fading
    7+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Hey guys, long time no [thoughtful] post. I went through a rough summer and some issues have caused me to make a lot of changes to my life. I can no longer stomach meat and processed foods. I've been eating tons of fruits, veggies, grains, beans, and nuts (mostly organic). However, I feel like I'm not meeting my caloric needs given all of the hard labor I do at the farm and running daily. Any other vegetarians out there have any advice on how to get some good, healthy calories in, or recipes, or meal ideas?? I mainly find myself forgetting to eat/not having enough time to make a meal and just grabbing a piece of fruit to eat. Thanks!

ETA: Mods, if this touches the "medical advice" clause of SDN terms of use, just close. no biggie:).

#1 psilovethomas, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. breenie

breenie Weenie 2015
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Cheese.

Ice cream.

Dairy.

DAIRY!!!!!

Sorry, I am from Wisconsin, I have to rep my state's favorite industry.

But seriously, cheese can pack some real calories. Load up on more carbs, too, if you're just looking for numbers (more pasta). Drink whole milk.

4. psilovethomas

psilovethomas fading
    7+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    I'm very sensitive to lactose and can only drink goat's milk. :(

5. breenie

breenie Weenie 2015
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    That is seriously the saddest thing I've read all day, though goat's milk is so good it almost makes up for it. Goat cheese?

6. LMMS

LMMS Back Hunting Wolves
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    May I assume you're going the ovo/lacto route? Sorry to hear about the lactose intolerance though... If you can handle goat milk, try sheep's milk as well. I've found that both make good yogurt and cheese. And, along with the assumption of ovo/lacto, eggs go a long way in providing protein and calories. As for quick and easy, I'm a BIG fan of baked tofu. I even like it cold - makes a great sandwich and/or salad topper. Finally, I know it's a bear without milk, but peanut butter is packed with good things. Pack some crackers and you're good to go on the go so to speak.

Best of luck with the new diet!! :)

7. cowgirla

cowgirla Oklahoma 2014
    Veterinarian 7+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    My mother is on a very similar "diet" -- all natural, mostly nuts/fruit/veggies/grains. She's vegan and while I refuse to go that far with it, I've picked up a few habits from her over the years. I'm also lactose intolerant, so I tend to stay away from milk and soft cheeses. Hard cheese has very little lactose, some don't have any. I'm a big fan of gruyere, and it's lactose free naturally!

Almonds. I always have a giant bag in the house. For cost effectiveness, I no longer buy the fancy organic ones, but they are soo good for you, and pack a surprisingly big caloric punch considering their size. I'll make up a trail mix of almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower nuts, flax seeds, and dried berries and munch on that all day long.

I also switched to almond butter rather than peanut butter, for pretty much the same reason. I think the organic almond butter tastes better than the organic peanut butter.

My mom makes her self a protein/power shake every morning, and most of her calories from the day come from that. It's got all sorts of stuff in it-- fruits, veggies, soy milk, and some heavy duty protein shake mix that her doctor recommended. She also takes a bunch of vitamin supplements in powdered form and adds them.
    Since I can't drink milk, I generally do either soy milk or almond milk. Coconut milk is also good, but a lot more expensiive for the brand I like. Same goes for ice cream- soy or coconut.

She really doesn't use recipes unless she has people coming over that she needs to feed. I havent lived at home in five years, but from what I've heard, her dinners consist of a lot of whole wheat pasta with grilled veggies, and fake meat products, a salad with spinach/fruits/veggies/nuts/fake meat, etc. She's got a delicious recipe for a "chicken" salad-- she uses fake chicken, whole-grain rice, pineapple/peaches/raisins/peanuts with a yogurt based dressing that's really good. (I use plain yogurt as a substitute for pretty much anything that normally calls for mayo or something similar to that.)

I made really yummy granola bars the other night. I found the recipe on Google, and just modified so it had the fruit/nuts I like, wheat flour instead of allpurpose, organic maple syrup instead of sugar, etc. I did use an egg, but you could probably find a substitite for that too if you wanted. There are a ton of veggie/vegan websites, and most of the recipes are pretty easy to alter with your preferences/whats available at your farmers market/grocery store

#6 cowgirla, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  8. Marsala

Marsala Western C/O 2016!
    7+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    There are a bunch of different brands of lactose-free milk out there. Also lactose-free ice cream and cottage cheese.

9. Bisbee

5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Eating dairy is really not so different than eating meat in that they are both animal protein and contain cholesterol, etc (i.e. not really "healthier") . Although vegan is probably the best all-around way to go, it's hard to be totally vegan, especially if you go out to eat in restaurants (they put cheese on every salad and wrap). I agree with the peanut butter and almond butter...they both contain great plant protein and lots of calories. Have you looked at the book by Alicia Silverstein, The Kind Diet (I think that's the name) which has great ideas for eating vegan.

10. supercanuc

Pre-Veterinary
    I follow that same diet and do a lot of the same activities. For me the most filling vegetable I have found are artichokes.
    I also must recommend any of the cookbooks from Moosewood Restaurant, I have not found a recipe that I did not cook twice.

11. Bisbee

5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Yes...the Moosewood! I went to school in Ithaca and enjoyed that place very much. It's one of those restaurants that DON'T put cheese on everything!

12. New Foundland

New Foundland be seeing you
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Nuts, as mentioned.

Hummus + veggie sandwiches are amazing in every way. Or even just carrot sticks with hummus is a good filling snack.

Avocado + veggie sandwiches are also great, and filling. less protein but still very calorie dense (with monounsaturated "good" fats)

Falafel in a wrap/pita with veggies. Kind of a bit of work to make good falafel from scratch, but it's totally worth it and so incredibly tasty. I bake it as opposed to fry it in oil, so it is much healthier.

Edamame / soy beans (preferably fresh-frozen and already taken out of the shell/pod). They're a very healthy and tasty source of protein, in salads or just alone.

Protein bars, of course.
    It might take a couple tries to find some protein bars you like, but a couple trips to costco and you're bound to find a good kind. Chocolate is pretty important in covering up the taste hah.

13. Klizard

Pre-Veterinary
    I agree with all of the advice/suggestions everyone has been giving you, and would add quinoa, a grain, to the list of foods to try if you haven't already. Like soy, it's a complete protein source, which are difficult to come by in the vegetarian world.

Here are a few foodie blogs I follow: they have tons of recipes and advice, as well as links to other vegetarian/vegan blogs with millions of other recipes. The first link has all vegan recipes, while the second has many vegetarian recipes and is written by a registered dietician. I think you may find the second link especially helpful, as it as kept as a food journal and the writer is a runner as well!

Link 1: Oh She Glows http://ohsheglows.com/recipes/
    Link 2: Kath Eats Real Food: http://www.KathEats.com/

Good luck!

14. Dsmoody23

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I've been vegetarian for a few years now. The first few months were a struggle, as there's only so many times you can eat tofu without wanting to shoot yourself in the face.

Equally, it was hard to find a diet that would support me athletically and physically. Protein isn't hard to come by in the veggie diet, but it's not always easy to make that protein interesting or to keep it uncoupled from excessive fat.

The best thing I can recommend, if you think your diet is lacking, is adding on some variety of liquid protein shake in the morning. If you can't do whey, try soy protein. I know there's some controversy over phyto-estrogen in a diet with a substantial soy base, but nothing I've read seems convincing.

Every morning, I have 50g of protein shake made with 300ml of soy milk, usually mixed with a banana and 1/2 a cup of some kind of yogurt. It's delicious, and you've already started your day with most of your protein requirement.

Tack on a good multi-vitamin and some kind of polyunsaturated fat supplement, which you'll be missing without meat or cheese. 2000mg of flaxseed oil, in a gel cap, is a good, cheap option.

After that, it's all about finding the proteins and carbs that you enjoy and that don't turn you into a fat monster.

Tempeh, seitan, some tofu and a large variety of beans and legumes will keep you from getting bored.

The main consideration is finding out what your dietary needs are for your activity level (grams of protein, carbs and fats) and making sure you're meeting them.

The biggest new vegetarian mistake is assuming that it's good just because it's not meat. There are plenty of incredibly unhealthy vegetarians who neglect their basic dietary needs and down block after block of tofu, wondering why they feel like garbage.

15. RdLessTraveled

RdLessTraveled Glasgow c/o 2016!

Pre-Veterinary
    :thumbup: All so, so true