General Admissions & OTCAS OT this year or next year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2beOT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I decided to study MOT in June and now taking prereq courses to apply OT school this year. However, I think I am taking too many classes at the same time and not really have good grades for prereq classes:( (around 3.0- 3.3 for prereq) I have two more classes need to take in next semester. My CGPA is around 3.5 and haven't taken GRE yet. I got 100 volunteer hours at nursing home/rehab facility and worked at a health care center for a year.
I hope I can get into the program this coming year (just don't really want to wait another year) but seems its hard with my situation now.
Any advices for my situation would be really appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I'd recommend you heavily consider waiting to apply for another year. I took a year off to apply. What was a deciding factor for me was realizing if I didn't get in on my first try, I would likely need new letters of rec, more observation hours, new experiences, etc. These things take a lot of time and commitment. Though it might be possible for you to get in this year, I think it's best to apply with your best foot forward. You want the best grades, scores, letters, and experiences to up your chances of getting in. OT admissions are so competitive right now and getting more so each year. If anything, waiting a year would allow you more time to take those remaining prereqs so they're not staggered so clsoe and you're not as stressed. Good luck with everything!!

I agree with OThopeful! As much as it might not seem like you want to, I would wait a year, get all of your ducks in a row and then apply. Don't think of it as waiting, think of it as a year for growth and learning. Spend your time taking classes, volunteering / shadowing and learning all you can about the world of OT. Before you know it, it will be the middle of summer and you will be on the top of your game and ready to apply for school. Rushing into applications does not tend to work out well and can often be very discouraging. Get good letters of rec, gain experience and finish your pre reqs. If you run out of things to do perhaps take some classes in an area of interest, travel, volunteer or do something that you can add to your application that will help you to stand out. The possibilities are endless! Never give up on your dreams, but it is ok to take time in achieving them! If you have any questions feel free to ask. Best of luck!!!:)