OTC Antidepressants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hope_ful_Pharm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Someone came up to me and asked me if there were any OTC alternatives to antidepressants. Any pharmacists out there know any, or where I may find information about them?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone came up to me and asked me if there were any OTC alternatives to antidepressants. Any pharmacists out there know any, or where I may find information about them?

Why? Because they're "natural"? Sigh. I wouldn't even recommend St. John's wort because of all the drug interactions. Some people say b12 helps but I'm skeptical.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd vote for pretty girls. But like any therapy, you have to be aware of the risk/benefit profile. Might end up more depressed than before if it doesn't work out.

I heard about vitamin d (lack of sunlight can be a cause of depression).

Why? Because they're "natural"? Sigh. I wouldn't even recommend St. John's wort because of all the drug interactions. Some people say b12 helps but I'm skeptical.
it might be that he/she is too embarrassed to ask MD for help? Not wanting to talk about it would be a sign of depression.

it might be that he/she is too embarrassed to ask MD for help? Not wanting to talk about it would be a sign of depression.

Yes, I have asked them and they refuse to talk to an MD about it. I encourage them to do so, but they won't for some reason and asked if I knew any OTC alternatives.

do you have an OTC book?

my other favorite, related questions are (after I tell them it's too soon to fill)...

1.) are there any OTC muscle relaxants like soma?

2.) are there any OTC anxiety medications like xanax?

1.) are there any OTC muscle relaxants like soma?

You can buy Robaxin OTC in Canada.

057800815044_E_C.png

do you have an OTC book?

my other favorite, related questions are (after I tell them it's too soon to fill)...

2.) are there any OTC anxiety medications like xanax?
Valerian root.

5-HTP is the most natural antidepressant, it's a precursor to serotonin, so acts similar to many anti depressants we have already.

Last edited:

The only correct answer to your question is, "Tell the someone that such options may very well exist, but they need to go consult with their pharmacist or physician if they are concerned about depression, and before starting any new OTC medication"

Seriously... you're practicing medicine and shouldn't be, without a license, yet.