OTC Book?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rx2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Does anyone know a good book to learn about OTC's? My school doesn't offer an OTC course anymore, so I need to learn about them on my own. Any suggestions on good books is appreciated. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

Does anyone know a good book to learn about OTC's? My school doesn't offer and OTC course anymore, so I need to learn about them on my own. Any suggestions on good books is appreciated. Thanks! :)

The APhA OTC handbook is a decent place to start from the very beginning, but I find it doesn't translate all that well into real life.

OTC, I think more than anything else, is best learned through actual experience. Know your customers and their preferences, and start recognizing patterns. Ask your preceptors/pharmacists lots of questions, and watch what they recommend. Walk through the aisles and familiarize yourself with the fastest-moving products, their uses, dosing, precautions and contraindications. It takes time, but it beats a textbook.

That thing is 1000 pages. Is there a smaller cheaper one that's just as good?

Members don't see this ad :)
I disagree with the previous poster. The OTC Handbook, while very long and overly detailed at times, does contain almost every applicable detail needed for making OTC recommendations in pharmacy practice. in p1 year we have to read the entire thing and i cant imagine there is much else you would need to know. But a lot of information in it is somewhat irrelevant and the authors tend to enjoy taking on a dry academic tone, which may put you to sleep. But if you know the basics, you probably can pick up the rest from practice, as opposed to having to read the whole thing.

The otc drugs and their uses and indications can be picked up on the internet or just by reading the labeling information. I find that knowing about the products themselves is pretty much a no brainer, but it is the key info about exclusions and differential diagnoses that was best found in the textbook. But at the same time, like prazi said, a lot of things (common complaints, how people will present with an illness and finding out what they know about their conditions, medical history, and how to use a product) you can just pick up in the store. Just gotta spend some time talking to people. Spend a single hour in the OTC aisle and you'll be set.

http://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Guide-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260661671&sr=1-1

Useful book to keep at work, easy to carry around. Has concise info for otc pharmacy recommendations. I have found it very useful especially if you have no internet access.

This is what I would have recommended too! Dr. Finkel was my fave professor in Rx school and taught our OTC class, as well as patient care management.

Nice book...only thing is it may be somewhat outdated now in certain areas. I'd offer you my copy, but it's back home now.