OTC couseling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krystal2812

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I searched but didn't find any thread discussing about OTC couseling. I'm a P1 and wonder if there's any pocket books or so that has good information for OTC couseling like if they used this but doesn't work, what products will go next; or why choose this compared to that ... What do you guys reference when couseling? I saw several books but don't know which to choose.

Members don't see this ad.

I searched but didn't find any thread discussing about OTC couseling. I'm a P1 and wonder if there's any pocket books or so that has good information for OTC couseling like if they used this but doesn't work, what products will go next; or why choose this compared to that ... What do you guys reference when couseling? I saw several books but don't know which to choose.

Which books have you seen so far?

I just saw two books on Amazon, that seems to be useful, mosby and PDR.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just saw two books on Amazon, that seems to be useful, mosby and PDR.

Have you asked any pharmacists about what they like to use for OTC counseling?

You might not like the books they use, but it can give you an idea of what you're looking for in a book that you would like to use.

This doesn't answer your question but there is a Nonprescription Medicines Academy on Facebook. I refuse to join Facebook so I don't know much about it but I bet that would be a good place to ask about the resources you are looking for.

nmapart1.jpg

nmapart2.jpg

nmapart3.jpg

nmapart4.jpg

i don't know of any pocket books for OTC info
but personally I like APHA's handbook of nonprescription medications...it is a textbook but it is very concise and easy to read.

but personally I like APHA's handbook of nonprescription medications...it is a textbook but it is very concise and easy to read.

We worked extensively out of this book in P1. You could take the flow charts and put them on index cards to make your own pocket guide.

If you try to refer to a pocket guide while the patient is waiting, probably 90% of them may just leave. That's just how people behave.
I wasn't really counseling on OTCs much as a P1. The different treatments is just something you pick up as you move forward through your curriculum, especially if your school has an OTC class.
But I guess once the pt has left, you can look stuff up for your own reference for next time. I agree to APhA's handbook of nonprescription drugs, but that is a pretty big book.

Just remember that the same few ingredients are in most of the OTC preps in various combinations. Once you learn those few, you'll be fine. Practice, practice, practice!