OTC Drugs for children?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glitch

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In Texas, not sure if any others, They removed or are removing children's infants medicine off the market. Well to prescription only. I remember hearing this like a couple of months back. I know for sure infant, but I haven't seen children's here for a while either. I know I still see infant glycerin suppositories, but thats about it lol.

I kind of think of it as a bad for some people, but good for pharmacy worker's stress level thing. And our area, people like to act like complete dinguses in our area, mainly black people. No I'm not racist. I'm vietnamese and I hate chinks. I generalize all asians as chinks, chinaman, etc etc. It's because I'm asian I get to =). Might just be my area.

As we don't have to deal with bs from customers asking is this it multiple times and then question our judgement and try to act like they are the one with the medical degree. And not have to worry about being sued etc the list goes on. I'm a very contradictory person.

So what do you guys do for when people ask you guys about what can their children take in this situation or if you were in this situation. If someone comes up and ask what can their child take, do you say you have to go see a dr because there is nothing on the market anymore? or do you feel bad and tell them how much they can take of others.

No, I'm not a pharmacist, just a tech. Just writing my perspective of both our views. We were e-mailed that we can not consult for children's med anymore because it's too dangerous. But most of what they take OTC is the same meds given by rx. My pharmacists are too nice so I have to be a dick about things. Lady comes up with a baby, can I see your pharmacists's or anyone who says what can my kid take. I'd say sorry ma'am they don't make anything otc for kids anymore. Very few do I make exceptions for, I'd say, but if you were to go do some research online like, how many mg or how strong a person of xx weight, etc. You may find something you can take that is the same med as the adult version

Members don't see this ad.

And what gives you the right as a tech to decide if the patient gets access to a pharmacist or not, and whether the pharmacist can counsel the lady on children's otc med?

And our area, people like to act like complete dinguses in our area, mainly black people. No I'm not racist. I'm vietnamese and I hate chinks. I generalize all asians as chinks, chinaman, etc etc. It's because I'm asian I get to =). Might just be my area.

Do you really want to say this? I hate to tell you but making a decision about a person based on their race (I hate chinks) is racist. You should refrain from making remarks like these. You actually should re-examine your thoughts, but if you can't or won't, please keep them to yourself.

May I suggest you read Man's Search for Meaning, by Victor Frankl who said:
From all this we may learn that there are two races of men in this world but only these two. The race of the decent man and the race of the indecent man. Both are found everywhere, they penetrate into all groups of society. No group consists entirely of decent or indecent people. In this sense no group is of pure race.

Now as to your pharmacy question. The FDA removed all OTC COLD medication or children under two years old from the market. For an infant with no fever or slight fever who is eating and active you can recommend the following:
  • Elevate the head of the bed or crib so the child does not lie flat on their back.
  • Saline nasal spray or drops.
  • Use a nasal aspirator to remove excess nasal discharge.
  • Run a cool mist humidifier in the child's room.
  • Use APAP for minor fever.
If the child has high fever (Over 102) or is listless or not eating or the symptoms persist over several days, the pediatrician should be consulted at once.

but if you were to go do some research online like, how many mg or how strong a person of xx weight, etc. You may find something you can take that is the same med as the adult version

This is a false and dangerous assumption. You give this information out at the peril of your patient's health. There is no safety and efficacy for these medications in children, NONE, ZERO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you really want to say this? I hate to tell you but making a decision about a person based on their race (I hate chinks) is racist. You should refrain from making remarks like these. You actually should re-examine your thoughts, but if you can't or won't, please keep them to yourself.

May I suggest you read Man's Search for Meaning, by Victor Frankl who said:

Now as to your pharmacy question. The FDA removed all OTC COLD medication or children under two years old from the market. For an infant with no fever or slight fever who is eating and active you can recommend the following:
  • Elevate the head of the bed or crib so the child does not lie flat on their back.
  • Saline nasal spray or drops.
  • Use a nasal aspirator to remove excess nasal discharge.
  • Run a cool mist humidifier in the child's room.
  • Use APAP for minor fever.
If the child has high fever (Over 102) or is listless or not eating or the symptoms persist over several days, the pediatrician should be consulted at once.

This is a false and dangerous assumption. You give this information out at the peril of your patient's health. There is no safety and efficacy for these medications in children, NONE, ZERO.

I'm not sure how it is in TX, but you don't say anything that could be construed as consultation in CA if you are not
a:thumbdown: RPh. You start giving advice like that as a tech and you're bound to be in serious trouble with your pharmacist, employer, or state board (depending on who's around at the time you start giving this advice out) Anytime a pt has any question on any medication, OTC or otherwise, that has to do with choice between medications, interactions, suitability, etc, the pharmacist should be called upon as it is outside the Tech's legal scope of practice. (Again this is CA)

I'm not sure how it is in TX, but you don't say anything that could be construed as consultation in CA if you are not
a:thumbdown: RPh. You start giving advice like that as a tech and you're bound to be in serious trouble with your pharmacist, employer, or state board (depending on who's around at the time you start giving this advice out) Anytime a pt has any question on any medication, OTC or otherwise, that has to do with choice between medications, interactions, suitability, etc, the pharmacist should be called upon as it is outside the Tech's legal scope of practice. (Again this is CA)

It is the same here in Texas. I'm not sure but I think the only drug questions we can answer are the generic/brand question, number of refills and anything that don't require professional judgment. If the patient has other drug questions (dosing, indications, etc.) they should be referred to the pharmacist right away.

Please don't misinterpret my answer as suggesting the OP should recommend anything. Just what any prudent pharmacist would suggest....

complete dinguses in our area, mainly black people. No I'm not racist. I'm vietnamese and I hate chinks. I generalize all asians as chinks, chinaman, etc etc. It's because I'm asian I get to =).

WTF??????????????????

you said you "hate chinks"????????

you made no sense.........i hate when people use the excuse, "i can say that word because i am"

who said anyone is allowed to say that word?

so blacks are allowed to say the N word because they are black???????

makes no sense to me.........

but yea, i guess its because you are from texas..........and all the white people group ALL asians together...........so they call all asians chinks............and therefore, you have been harassed your whole life and called a chink............and therefore, you fall into their ignorance and call yourself a chink...........excellent!

Please don't misinterpret my answer as suggesting the OP should recommend anything. Just what any prudent pharmacist would suggest....

I know, but based on certain clues, I thought clarification may be in order. Professional judgement and all.;)

I know, but based on certain clues, I thought clarification may be in order. Professional judgement and all.;)

I guess based on the OP, clarification was in order.....