OTC help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miarx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm not 100% comfortable with making OTC recommendations, not sure who should get what or who should avoid what especially with children . But I've heard of these two books and I would like them in e-book form. Its the "Pocket Guide for Nonprescription Product Therapeutics" by W. Stephen Pray and the "PDR for Nonprescription Products". Does anyone know where I could get them or any other resource that should help me be a pro at this... Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone use "practioner's quick guide to non prescription drugs" or something by APhA ? The smaller version of huge 17th edition handbook. Any reviews ?

Pharmacist's Letter is good for a lot of OTC topics if you have access.

Anyone use "practioner's quick guide to non prescription drugs" or something by APhA ? The smaller version of huge 17th edition handbook. Any reviews ?
I used this book (the big one is the The Handbook of Nonprescription Drugs: An Interactive Approach to Self-Care) and "the little" pocket quick guide during school. We had 2 semesters on OTC which was taught concurrently topic-by-topic with advanced therapeutics. I am glad that my school did such a great job pairing courses like this and using these two books (with additional material of course), or else I wouldn't be prepared for retail. So I highly recommend these two books (the big one and the little one--which is basically a summary of important points to remember (for the test LOL) from the big book). A lot of it also depends on you and your effort to expand your own knowledge. I also have subscription to Pharmacist Letters and their Natural Medicine database, which helps me a lot on herbals.

I am still looking for formal (preferentially on-line or long-distance) courses on herbals or certifications. If anyone knows anything, please help with the information. I am very interested in herbals and CAM; I took herbal elective during school but it seems like it's not enough. Thank you...

does anybody know where i can get a list of the popular otc meds?

Anything written by Dr Pray is gold, in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anything written by Dr Pray is gold, in my opinion.

I am considering his book but it's written in 2005 vs the APhA handbook of 2013. Anyone used both ? What are the differences or prefer one over other ?

Red yeast rice (aka supplement containing naturally occurring lovastatin) already is.

wow....next thing i know you are going to tell me there's an anti-depressant that is available OTC! lol

Reactions: 1 user
wow....next thing i know you are going to tell me there's an anti-depressant that is available OTC! lol
St. John's Wort might qualify, depending on who you ask...

Probably not. Herbals and supplements are not widely as studied.

but aren't there studies in other countries? i hear st john's is widely used in Germany and it has been extensively studied there.

but aren't there studies in other countries? i hear st john's is widely used in Germany and it has been extensively studied there.

Yeah, that is very true. We don't study nontraditional medicines as much as we should.

Yeah, that is very true. We don't study nontraditional medicines as much as we should.

Yeah, I totally agree. That is what other pharmacists tell me as well. I don't see why. These are herbals/supplements and they don't require a prescription. Pharmacists can have direct care by knowing more about herbals/supplements.

Yeah, I totally agree. That is what other pharmacists tell me as well. I don't see why. These are herbals/supplements and they don't require a prescription. Pharmacists can have direct care by knowing more about herbals/supplements.

does your school offer elective classes on herbals?

I'm curious as to which herbals/supplements pharmacists actually routinely recommend (I'm not counting the bs junk we say just to get people to gtfo).
Mine:
Fish oil
Glucosamine
Vit D3

I am not adding to this list of things that I recommend when a person refuses a dietary modification. These I would count to be things such as multi vitamins, fiber, garlic, cinnamon, and B complex. In almost all circumstances, any benefits from these supplements would be much better suited to lifestyle modifications.