OTC insulin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RxBlueDevils

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which insulin products can be sold without a prescription?

Members don't see this ad.

off the top of my head... R, NPH, lente...basically non of the "new" stuff

Members don't see this ad :)
What about Novolog and Humalog?

Insulin pens?

Novolog is insulin aspart and it's by prescription.

Humalog in insulin lispro and it's by prescription.

Both are rapid acting insulins that work within 15 minutes.

I think I've got that right.

Oh, and U-100 insulins R and NPH are OTC.

In the UK, practice is changing to use of one of the long acting insulins such as levemir or lantis. Novorapid used when pt has a meal. This routine has liberated diabetics from fixed meal times. My niece tells me great when going on a student's night out.
johnep

In the UK, practice is changing to use of one of the long acting insulins such as levemir or lantis. Novorapid used when pt has a meal. This routine has liberated diabetics from fixed meal times. My niece tells me great when going on a student's night out.
johnep

changing...you mean that's not the standard of care now?

i guess in the grand scheme of things, the switch from the R/NPH/Lente/Ultralente "era" and changing your life to match the insulin to the rapid acting/long acting "era" and changing your insulin to match your life is fairly recent.

There's a book called Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner that's a great primer if you're working with T1DM pt's. Good section on the history of insulin/glucometers and practical dosing advice with respect to exercise/etc...

http://www.amazon.com/Think-Like-Pancreas-Practical-Managing/dp/1569244367

johnep34 -- here's a link just for our friends across the pond :thumbup:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Think-Like-Pancreas-Practical-Managing/dp/1569244367

(in book preview only in the US link)

Novomix 30/70 seems to be most popular insulin in UK at present. Generally it is the new diabetics or those with problems put onto LA and ultra short acting.
johnep