Otcas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kp24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I had a question I was hoping someone could help me out with. For the observation hours---does the system automatically send them (supervising occupational therapists) a request to fill out something that confirms how many hours were completed? Or do they get a recommendation email request as well and they fill that out? I have put two of the therapists under which I completed my hours in the reference section as well--so I am not sure if they will get two emails or one, or how it all works.

Members don't see this ad.

I have no idea. I paid my fees two weeks ago and have yet to be verified. Ask the OTs if they got anything, since they require an email address.

Hi kp24,
It depends on the program. If you would like to let me know which program you are specifically speaking of, I can double check this info for you.
For my program (who uses OTCAS) there is not a observation verification log--only contact info, a description of the setting, etc.
For references, if you would like to see what the form looks like, you can add a fake reference and act as if it is a 'paper request' instead of an electronic one. You can delete this "reference" once you are done. When you enter an OT as a reference, and do the request electronically, OTCAS should automatically send the information to the OT's email as well as a confirmation to your email. If you are not using the OT as a reference, just documenting your hours, you have to check with the program. If the program does request verification logs, then those will be sent directly to the school, I believe.

This is what your automated confirmation email will look like:

"OTCAS has sent a request to (name and email of reference) to submit an electronic letter of reference on your behalf. Please log in to your application regularly to check on the status of your reference letters."

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi kp24,
It depends on the program. If you would like to let me know which program you are specifically speaking of, I can double check this info for you.
For my program (who uses OTCAS) there is not a observation verification log--only contact info, a description of the setting, etc.
For references, if you would like to see what the form looks like, you can add a fake reference and act as if it is a 'paper request' instead of an electronic one. You can delete this "reference" once you are done. When you enter an OT as a reference, and do the request electronically, OTCAS should automatically send the information to the OT's email as well as a confirmation to your email. If you are not using the OT as a reference, just documenting your hours, you have to check with the program. If the program does request verification logs, then those will be sent directly to the school, I believe.

This is what your automated confirmation email will look like:

"OTCAS has sent a request to (name and email of reference) to submit an electronic letter of reference on your behalf. Please log in to your application regularly to check on the status of your reference letters."

Hope this helps!

Thanks! I am using the OTCAS application to only apply to USC. I am using both the Occupational therapists who I have done hours with as my references as well. I think applying through OTCAS adds to the stress of it all!

OTCAS does seem to be a hassle when you are applying to only one school in their network (as it appears that both of us are). On the other hand though, if we were applying to two or three programs that use their service, it would be very convenient!
Okay, it looks like USC doesn't have any required volunteer hours, only recommended.
This is off their FAQ page: Is volunteer experience required? "Volunteer work is not required for admission; however, we recommend volunteering or shadowing an occupational therapist to gain a better understanding of the profession, the types of settings in which occupational therapists work, and life on the job. A volunteer packet can be mailed to you if you contact the Division."

Based on this from the USC website, you should contact them. There might be a verification sheet in this "volunteer packet". As far as OTCAS goes, you will not need to do anything further to verify your hours--just send out your letter of recommendation requests.

Also, here is the OTCAS profile for USC:
http://www.aota.org/OTCAS/USC.aspx

Good luck to you! :)

Oh wow, I don't know how I missed that! Thank you!

Hello,

I had a question I was hoping someone could help me out with. For the observation hours---does the system automatically send them (supervising occupational therapists) a request to fill out something that confirms how many hours were completed? Or do they get a recommendation email request as well and they fill that out? I have put two of the therapists under which I completed my hours in the reference section as well--so I am not sure if they will get two emails or one, or how it all works.

The OTCAS does not have a documenting system for observation hours. However its important to check with your program to see whether they do. Just email them and ask whether they want it documented and how outside of the OTCAS application. USC I do not believe has a documentation form. Double check with Sarah Kelly there at the program. However somewhere like Ohio State does have a form. Often you are duplicating your efforts between the OTCAS and the schools' supplemental (or non-supplemental) forms. Its annoying as ______ but you just have to get through it because its more a transition/growing pains than anything else from what I have seen.

Which school are you looking at? I've been through the application process before and might be able help with questions. Feel free to DM me.

The OTCAS does not have a documenting system for observation hours. However its important to check with your program to see whether they do. Just email them and ask whether they want it documented and how outside of the OTCAS application. USC I do not believe has a documentation form. Double check with Sarah Kelly there at the program. However somewhere like Ohio State does have a form. Often you are duplicating your efforts between the OTCAS and the schools' supplemental (or non-supplemental) forms. Its annoying as ______ but you just have to get through it because its more a transition/growing pains than anything else from what I have seen.

Which school are you looking at? I've been through the application process before and might be able help with questions. Feel free to DM me.

Thanks.

I am looking at California State Dominiquez Hills, CSU, Dominician, St. Augustine, Turro (nevada), & maybe Loma Linda. I had applied to SJSU & Samuel Merrit last year. I was accepted to SMU, but said no since I thought I would get into SJSU which I didnt. I had used the same recommendations & essay..but I guess it differs with every school. Im really hoping to get into CSUDH though because it starts this coming January and I just want to be in a program now. Are you currently in a program? Also, after we submit the OTCas application, can we add/change recommendations?