Other Impactful Experience question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AccuracyTips

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think it would be more appropriate for secondaries if this is something that is recent as opposed to earlier in your life such as in college or high school.

Yeah this happened within the past year. Just wasn’t sure where it would fit in my application. Would this count as a diversity essay then ? Although I never read the LOR, she did mention that she talked about this experience because she had extensive knowledge of it and wanted to make sure I mentioned it so that our “stories” would align.
Depends on the prompts. You could make a mention of it in your personal statement instead if you can connect it with your other experiences and integrate it well (ie you had worked as an interpretor or were around some in a clinical job and you can then segway into how you took on that role at a more personal level for your grandmother).

Members don't see this ad :)
Read

I have been the primary advocate for her in setting up and accompanying her to all her appointments, being the communicator between her and her physicians as she does not speak English, and coordinating her chemo radiation treatments as well.
In my opinion, you can make this the subject of OIE, but I am missing how this impacted you. Did you take academic leave of absence?

If experience contributed to your reason to be a physician, try to put it in your PS. If the experience provides an extra dimension for who you are or it became an extra hurdle that you had to jump over or navigate around, then it is fair game for OIE.

Last edited:
I can see this as an other impactful experience (OIE) and I can see where it took time away from other activities and provided you with first-hand experience of patients and families, particularly those who are non-English speaking. If that doesn't have an impact, what does?

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.