Other Impactful Experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

limestrees

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been asked, but could anyone provide additional guidance on AMCAS replacing the disadvantaged essay with a new "other impactful experiences" essay for this upcoming cycle?

A couple questions:

(1) Is it still the same as the disadvantaged essay with different wording (i.e., not everyone needs to and not everyone should submit one)? Or is now more like an adversity/diversity essay that everyone should submit?

(2) If the latter, how should we go about answering it without being redundant in secondaries with very similar prompts?

(3) And finally, is this essay an area for storytelling? Or is being very factual and to-the-point the better approach?

Members don't see this ad.

See the AMCAS site for discussion regarding this change:

It is meant to be a similar question that hopefully encourages more applicants to fill it out instead of thinking it was strictly regarding their financial situation or that it would mark their application in a negative light. Not a place for storytelling.

how should we go about answering it without being redundant in secondaries with very similar prompts?
That's why you prewrite secondaries first. #notabrokenrecord

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
See the AMCAS site for discussion regarding this change:

It is meant to be a similar question that hopefully encourages more applicants to fill it out instead of thinking it was strictly regarding their financial situation or that it would mark their application in a negative light. Not a place for storytelling.
Great, thanks! So if I'm understanding it correctly, it's essentially the same question in spirit but just reworded to be more inclusive? So it's still truly optional?

I imagine I'm overthinking this, but just want to be sure.

Reactions: 1 users
Great, thanks! So if I'm understanding it correctly, it's essentially the same question in spirit but just reworded to be more inclusive? So it's still truly optional?

I imagine I'm overthinking this, but just want to be sure.
That is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.