1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Other plans...Post-bacc/Masters/Drexel VMS?

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by mstweetie, Dec 19, 2008.

1. mstweetie

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Hi all! I'm getting extremely anxious with this cycle (first-timer) and just want to prepare myself in case I don't get accepted... I really need to raise my UG GPA, and in case that acceptance doesn't come my way, I'm looking for other options...

Does anyone have any information on any one-year non-thesis master programs? Anyone looked at Tulane University?

Has anyone heard of Drexel University's Veterinary Medical Science (VMS) program? I've seen a couple threads dating as far as 2003 about it, but was wondering if anyone has looked into it now, or know anything about it!

Thanks guys!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. robeezy08

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Hi there,
    I graduated from Drexel's Master's in Lab Animal Science program and knew a few kids in the VMS program - we took some classes together. Although the VMS is a one year program keep in mind its just a certificate program; you won't graduate w/ a degree like MLAS. So it depends on your grades/GRE scores - if all you need is one more year to boost your GPA plus you kick butt on GRE then acceptance shouldn't be a problem. But I knew some who didn't get in w/ VMS degree even after doing really well in the program and were kicking themselves for not doing the MLAS. Some schools would prefer the degree program rather than a certificate. MLAS is a good back up too just in case you decide to switch directions/career choices. I didn't have any research experience before MLAS and now I'm working in the field and have networked w/ alot of lab animal vets! PM me if you need anymore info b/c I can talk forever on this!
    OK hope that helps :)

psuforever390 likes this.
  4. livefor32

livefor32 VMRCVM 2016!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I applied to vet school for fall 2007 and didn't get in, so I'm now working on my plan B -- master's program in animal science. I briefly looked into Drexel's program and thought it sounded like a good idea, but I was worried that it was only aimed at helping those who were right at the cut off. My UG gpa isn't all that wonderful, so I was worried that although the Drexel program would be helpful, it wouldn't be enough to boost me to the next level. Instead of applying to Drexel, I decided to do a 2 year thesis Master's project. This experience has been so helpful and I have learned more than I ever imagined. It also gave me great animal experience, lab experience, and gave me an opportunity to try and raise my gpa (vet schools value your most recent grades [ie grad school grades] more so than your freshman/soph year grades from UG). The only draw back is that it is a 2 year program, so I've had to put off applying to vet school a little longer than I would have liked. The other problem with research is that it's unpredictable and it's likely that you may have to stay longer than 2 years. I haven't heard of any 1-year Master's programs, but I'm sure you could find a 2 year non-thesis Master's program. It's all about what you want and what you need to help get yourself into vet school. Also, if you decide on grad school, do NOT leave early to go to vet school - you will burn a lot of bridges along the way!

psuforever390 likes this.
  5. TurtleLover

TurtleLover LSU SVM c/o 2013!!
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I applied for vet school for Fall 2008 and I didn't get in either. My backup plan was graduate school, thesis track in Biology to do marine turtle research. After careful consideration, I declined my acceptance for grad school because I knew this program I was in would take me at least 3 years, and I wanted to try once more to get into vet school, before setting myself back for 4 years. So now I'm a post-bac student while I'm applying to vet schools, to show them I really want it and am willing to never stop learning. My GPA is not too bad, a 3.5 overall, so I didn't really NEED to take more classes, but it's always a good idea. Anytime you can take more classes, especially upper division classes, and do well in them, it can only help you.

Hope this helps somewhat.

6. robeezy08

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    ...ooo, forgot to mention that the MLAS program at Drexel is a two year, non-thesis program. Instead, you do a lab animal externship either your last spring semester or summer following graduation. I did the externship at Penn and it was awesome.

7. flyhi

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There are schools that have one year master's non thesis programs called SMP's (Special Master's Programs). They are typically utilized by those trying to get into medical school, but could certainly apply to vet school applicants. There is a great *sticky* thread on the pre-med forum that will give you all the information you ever wanted or thought you needed on SMP's.

Best of Luck

#6 flyhi, Dec 19, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  8. rachroo

rachroo OSU CVM c/o 2013
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Hi flyhi! Do you by any chance have the link?

9. flyhi

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  10. rachroo

rachroo OSU CVM c/o 2013
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    You know, just in case I don't get in this cycle...I want to research all my options...thanks! :)

11. Skillet9886

Skillet9886 UFCVM c/o 2013!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I talked to one of the directors of the Drexel program in March during the APVMA symposium. Everything he said made sense, and it sounded like a decent option. Again, I haven't looked into it extensively, but he said that before the program was set up he (they?) talked to deans of a bunch of different vet schools to find out what kind of classes they would like to see students whose GPA's needed help to take, and tailored the program according to the deans' advice. I mean, that sounds like a pretty good idea to me. But it depends on the situation. I had thought my GPA was just a little too low (apparently not!) to be competitive, in which case one more year of classes would help. If my GPA was farther below average, though, I would probably lean more towards a longer master's program.

I know UF has an Animal Science-related master's program. I think it's Master's of Agribusiness or something like that. It's a one year program that a lot of UF undergrads do if they don't get into vet school the first time. Sorry I don't have very specific information on it. I was planning on looking into it a little later this year, but, well, now I'm not. If anyone wants to know more about it, though, I can give you some emails of people who have spoken about it at our Pre-Vet Club if you PM me.

12. mstweetie

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    thanks so much for all the great information! please keep me updated if anyone is planning to apply/gotten into any of the programs..

i just received an interview invite to wsu today sooo im hoping i don't need to worry about these **crosses fingers** we will see!!!

good luck everyone! :luck: