Other Professional Program to DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueorange

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster here! I wanted some advice from you guys.

I graduated with BSc. in 2014. This is my 2nd application cycle. Last year, I didn't get a single interview; my GPA was 3.1 and MCAT was 23. This year, I improved my GPA to a 3.5+ (both s- and c-GPA) and MCAT to 507 (which is ~29) and I have already received two II's, (fingers crossed from one more school which is my top choice school).

Now, my problem is that I also applied to pharmacy school last year and got in. Classes start in September this year. I had originally applied to pharm as a backup because I didn't think I had a good shot at DO. (For those who have an issue with this, I don't mean that in a bad way, I just mean that DO's is my top choice career but if it doesn't work out for whatever reason, I would like to go into pharmacy.)

So, my question is: is it possible to be in pharm while I am going through the DO application cycle this year? I will be updating my AACOMAS with this info in Sept when classes start. I am still waiting to make up my mind about this whole thing. I am just worried that if DO doesn't work out this year, and I decide not to go to pharmacy school, I would essentially be wasting another year.

Question to adcoms: do you interview and/or accept students who are in the middle of another professional program? Do DO schools have an issue with this type of situation?

Any advice and comments would be appreciated! Please and thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're applying this cycle I wouldn't recommend starting pharmacy school. You won't finish the degree before starting medical school, and it wouldn't look good for you. It shows starting something without intention to finish.

Defer pharm and let someone else have your spot (and pay the tuition).

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're applying this cycle I wouldn't recommend starting pharmacy school. You won't finish the degree before starting medical school, and it wouldn't look good for you. It shows starting something without intention to finish.

Thank you for the response! I have some follow-up questions, if you don't mind:
Are you talking from experience? Or do you know someone who has gone through a similar situation before? I can see why admins would see this as "jumping ship" kind of a situation but there is no guarantee of an acceptance at a DO school, especially since I am an international applicant. Then there is the financial issue that if I were to get an acceptance at a DO school, would I be cover the costs - banks won't give a guarantee until I have an acceptance, even then they may not cover everything. With so much uncertainty, I am a little hesitant to let go of a sure thing even though it's not my first choice.

Last edited:
Defer pharm and let someone else have your spot (and pay the tuition).

Thanks for the response!
I would need a strong enough reason to defer, like a medical condition where it would take me months to recover or something.