other reseach?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmolu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are other types of research viewed by the adcoms? I have completed a poster presentation in mathematics, would I need research in a biology related field to become competitive at research heavy schools?

Members don't see this ad.

How are other types of research viewed by the adcoms? I have completed a poster presentation in mathematics, would I need research in a biology related field to become competitive at research heavy schools?

This is just my opinion, but I think math research would look pretty impressive.

Most people with research has the most basic, cookie cuter "I did one semester of research and nothing published" type of experience. Anything that is meaningful, shows you have knowledge of the research process, and contributed enough to present a poster/ publish will have more weight.

The chances that you'll continue your undergrad research topic as a physician are minuscule, so the point of the process is to establish research methodological skills and learn how the process works so you can continue with other subjects in the future.

That sounds great--people will be impressed by math research. Definitely doesn't have to be biology.

I certainly wish doctors had more math skills overall....

Members don't see this ad :)
Hypothesis-driven work (a.k.a. "scholarly work") is always welcomed. Be prepared to discuss your part in the research, the basic premise, your methodology, results, and finally how it impacts the field and what future directions it may portend.

That sounds great--people will be impressed by math research. Definitely doesn't have to be biology.

I certainly wish doctors had more math skills overall....

This is just my opinion, but I think math research would look pretty impressive.

Most people with research has the most basic, cookie cuter "I did one semester of research and nothing published" type of experience. Anything that is meaningful, shows you have knowledge of the research process, and contributed enough to present a poster/ publish will have more weight.

The chances that you'll continue your undergrad research topic as a physician are minuscule, so the point of the process is to establish research methodological skills and learn how the process works so you can continue with other subjects in the future.

Hypothesis-driven work (a.k.a. "scholarly work") is always welcomed. Be prepared to discuss your part in the research, the basic premise, your methodology, results, and finally how it impacts the field and what future directions it may portend.
thanks guys! yeah, I used the scientific method of course, but my problem was I don't think math research is that equivalent to bio( i think its called bench?) research. Like, the research I did was very theoretical, compared to the ( what i think of as) concrete nature of bio research.