"Other" upper division science classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentistRob

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm graduating this april and it looks like I may have another year to get ready for dental school. I'm done with my prereqs and am looking to take a few more upper division science classes. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm graduating this april and it looks like I may have another year to get ready for dental school. I'm done with my prereqs and am looking to take a few more upper division science classes. Any suggestions?

human anatomy, histology, genetics, ecology

biochemistry and microbiology (if they weren't already required)

Members don't see this ad :)
biochemistry and microbiology (if they weren't already required)

exactly what i'm taking this semester (plus all my music classes)

i was totally expecting biochem to be really hard and microbio to be a joke (from what I had heard from my roommate)

totally the opposite - biochem has been fairly straightforward; microbio has turned out to be the hardest class I've ever taken and I'm really concerned about getting a pretty bad grade in there... test tomorrow so I need to go study :scared::eek:

some other courses u may want to look into in addition to the ones mentioned above :

physiology
neuro anatomy
gross anatomy (with the cadaver, not just regular anatomy)
pathophysiology
nutrition

ah just wondering what would the benefit of nutrition be for dental school? i'm thinking of dropping it. or are you saying it is good just for general knowledge?

ah just wondering what would the benefit of nutrition be for dental school? i'm thinking of dropping it. or are you saying it is good just for general knowledge?

Are you kidding me? Nutrition has everything to do with oral/overall health.
Lets picture this.

One kid eats candy, the other kid doesnt eat.
Which kid has less cavities?
Which kid is healthier?

Dont drop your nutrition class :p

Thanks everyone. Has anyone taken a pharmacology course?

Thanks everyone. Has anyone taken a pharmacology course?

I have and I think that it is a good course to take...I believe it is a course that is taken in dental school (at least from the catalog that I've seen). I really learned a lot about various drugs and the effects on the body, dosage calculations, etc.

Are you kidding me? Nutrition has everything to do with oral/overall health.
Lets picture this.

One kid eats candy, the other kid doesnt eat.
Which kid has less cavities?
Which kid is healthier?

Dont drop your nutrition class :p

I don't know if nutrition has more to do with oral health than oral hygiene. Besides, it seems like the class would reteach a bunch of stuff we've already learned? Don't eat lots of sweets. Do eat green leafy veggies.

I don't know if nutrition has more to do with oral health than oral hygiene. Besides, it seems like the class would reteach a bunch of stuff we've already learned? Don't eat lots of sweets. Do eat green leafy veggies.

I got a feeling that nutrition in dental school may not be the sort of easy course that it is in undergrad.