-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Otorhinolaryngology
Started by md_student10021
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Congratulations on choosing to pursue a career in ENT. It is a fantastic specialty and has consistantly been quite competative, for good reason. Here is the data I got from SFMatch after I matched this year:
Average Step I score:
Matched - 233
Unmatched - 215
Avg. Apps - 40
Avg. Interviews - 9.2
Percent of US seniors matching: 84%
As far as taking step 2 early, I think most people don't. Because it's an early match you really have to take it early (like July) to get your scores back and include them on your CAS application for programs to see. Most people are way too busy with LORs, ENT rotations etc to have time to really study. I took mine in December and got my scores back after I matched. If your step 1 scores are very low and you are confident you will do well on step 2 then you can try and take it early.
Visiting electives seem to be a matter of personal preference. It seems like the average is 1-2, with some doing as many as 3. Some poeple don't do any. A lot of it depends on how strong your application is, how strong the ENT department is at your home school and what kind of residency you are looking for. When you do them depends alot on your school's rotation schedule. It is nice if you can do one early (like July or earlier) and get a LOR from some big shot at the place you rotate with. Most people I know that did away rotations ended up matching somewhere else.
Additional advice:
- Get everything ready as early as possible. Because it is an early match, the target date for applications creeps up on you very quickly. Idealy you should try and have everything ready by August 1, just in case of the inevitable delays and problems.
- The best resources for finding out about programs are the people who recently matched. Talk to the residents at your med school. Faculty know which programs publish a lot or have famous faculty, but the often don't know which programs are best for residents.
- Try and decide early on what your priorities are for programs. Virtually all ENT residencies will give you very solid training. You need to decided whether want to go to an academic powerhouse (where you may feel a lot of pressure to do a fellowship and go into academics) or would you rather go to a program that doesn't have a lot of big name faculty but will prepare you well for private practice. Obviously these aren't mutually exlusive, but every program has it's strengths and weaknesses and it helps to know what you are looking for.
- Keep in close contact with the faculty at your med school, and get to know them as well as you can. ENT is a very small field where everybody knows everybody. It helps to know people, and the best place to start is your own institution.
Good Luck!
Average Step I score:
Matched - 233
Unmatched - 215
Avg. Apps - 40
Avg. Interviews - 9.2
Percent of US seniors matching: 84%
As far as taking step 2 early, I think most people don't. Because it's an early match you really have to take it early (like July) to get your scores back and include them on your CAS application for programs to see. Most people are way too busy with LORs, ENT rotations etc to have time to really study. I took mine in December and got my scores back after I matched. If your step 1 scores are very low and you are confident you will do well on step 2 then you can try and take it early.
Visiting electives seem to be a matter of personal preference. It seems like the average is 1-2, with some doing as many as 3. Some poeple don't do any. A lot of it depends on how strong your application is, how strong the ENT department is at your home school and what kind of residency you are looking for. When you do them depends alot on your school's rotation schedule. It is nice if you can do one early (like July or earlier) and get a LOR from some big shot at the place you rotate with. Most people I know that did away rotations ended up matching somewhere else.
Additional advice:
- Get everything ready as early as possible. Because it is an early match, the target date for applications creeps up on you very quickly. Idealy you should try and have everything ready by August 1, just in case of the inevitable delays and problems.
- The best resources for finding out about programs are the people who recently matched. Talk to the residents at your med school. Faculty know which programs publish a lot or have famous faculty, but the often don't know which programs are best for residents.
- Try and decide early on what your priorities are for programs. Virtually all ENT residencies will give you very solid training. You need to decided whether want to go to an academic powerhouse (where you may feel a lot of pressure to do a fellowship and go into academics) or would you rather go to a program that doesn't have a lot of big name faculty but will prepare you well for private practice. Obviously these aren't mutually exlusive, but every program has it's strengths and weaknesses and it helps to know what you are looking for.
- Keep in close contact with the faculty at your med school, and get to know them as well as you can. ENT is a very small field where everybody knows everybody. It helps to know people, and the best place to start is your own institution.
Good Luck!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Mary,
http://www.sfmatch.org has a public directory with links to program websites etc. The websites are honestly the best resource. Many programs don't even have informational packets to send you-they just refer you to their website. Once you register for the match-I think you can do this in May-you get a password that gives you access to a program directory with the names of program chairs, program directors, contact people, phone numbers, addresses, emails etc.
Baylor also has a pretty good list of program website links. You can find it at:
http://www.bcm.tmc.edu/oto/othersb.html
Also, if you haven't been their yet, http://www.otomatch.com is an otolaryngology message board run by one of the faculty members at Mass E & E. It's a great resource and gets a lot of traffic during interview season.
http://www.sfmatch.org has a public directory with links to program websites etc. The websites are honestly the best resource. Many programs don't even have informational packets to send you-they just refer you to their website. Once you register for the match-I think you can do this in May-you get a password that gives you access to a program directory with the names of program chairs, program directors, contact people, phone numbers, addresses, emails etc.
Baylor also has a pretty good list of program website links. You can find it at:
http://www.bcm.tmc.edu/oto/othersb.html
Also, if you haven't been their yet, http://www.otomatch.com is an otolaryngology message board run by one of the faculty members at Mass E & E. It's a great resource and gets a lot of traffic during interview season.
DuneHog,
Do you mind telling me where you matched and where you did medical school? You can PM me. My campus is pretty small and we don't have a big ENT department at all, so I need to cultivate all the contacts I can. I've known I wanted ENT since M1 and have tried to get involved in as many CV-enhancing projects as possible, but with no residency programs here it is difficult to get anywhere. I'd appreciate any help you could give me. I want to get my aways done by September, but they fill so soon with the school's own medical students that it is hard to schedule them early. Well, thanks for the above response- it is very helpful and I appreciate your time!
mary
Do you mind telling me where you matched and where you did medical school? You can PM me. My campus is pretty small and we don't have a big ENT department at all, so I need to cultivate all the contacts I can. I've known I wanted ENT since M1 and have tried to get involved in as many CV-enhancing projects as possible, but with no residency programs here it is difficult to get anywhere. I'd appreciate any help you could give me. I want to get my aways done by September, but they fill so soon with the school's own medical students that it is hard to schedule them early. Well, thanks for the above response- it is very helpful and I appreciate your time!
mary