Otoscope Recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UncleMinnie

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I’m set on trying to match into ENT and still have never purchased an otoscope. Is it worth buying a personal one? If so, does anyone have any recommendations, or should I just go with the basic Welch allyn?

I feel inclined to get one so that I can practice at home because I have very little confidence in my ear exam. But if people feel like you don’t really need a personal one, I’m fine to follow that advice and save some money. If I do buy one however, I would rather make an investment in a model that will last me a long time, and not skimp out and get something cheap and dinky.

Please chime in if you have opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Where are you in your training? I.e. college, med school, etc

My general answer is you will never be in a clinic or setting that won't have an otoscope- even the floors in the hospital have them (though sometimes hard to find). You will get plenty of practice looking in ears during residency and in practice. Save your money

Reactions: 1 users
I’m a third year med student. I think I’ll follow this advice, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My general answer is you will never be in a clinic or setting that won't have an otoscope- even the floors in the hospital have them (though sometimes hard to find). You will get plenty of practice looking in ears during residency and in practice. Save your money

Agree with the above sentiment. I did not feel comfortable with my external otoscopic exam until I did a lot of otomicroscopy in otology clinic as a resident.