OU Dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ems5184

Denist (future)
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are people's thoughts/opinions on Oklahoma's dental school. I never hear much about it on these forums, and I'd appreciate input from anyone who either goes there or went there for an interview, or has any sort of connection, etc. Thanks :D

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if you have or not...

But, have you searched all forums yet?

Its the best dental school in Oklahoma!

edit* in all seriousness, Ive only heard good things about it, I really dont know how it stacks up to other schools. Some of the cosmetic work I've seen done by OU grads has been seriously top notch.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the link Brian. Being in Oklahoma...what are your general impressions of the school and the surrounding area? I hear it's pretty peaceful around there. Do you have any idea where OU's board scores rank compared to other schools? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think OU is more clinically oriented and less geared towards research/academia. Also, do you have any idea how many people specialize out of OU, I'm considering it, but I'm not sure and I want to keep my options open.

Thanks

Hey no problem,

I think I can answer some of your questions, but not all.

As far as the atmosphere around the school/area. . .I work at the Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation, which is on campus - about a block from the dental school. My fiance' and my roommate both work or go to school on campus as well, so I spend a lot of time around campus eating, hanging out, etc, and I see a lot of the student life (at least on campus). I also have a few friends in dental school, med school, and Ph.D. programs. The feel I get is that the dental school is one of the closest-knit groups on campus. I hear there is great comraderie (spelling?) within the dental school, both between students and faculty. The atmosphere of the campus is what you might expect from Oklahoma, very laid back and friendly. The schooling is very demanding, just like anywhere else, but the atmosphere is great here.

I've lived in Oklahoma City for about 2 years, and it's a great place to live. It's probably about the cheapest place in the country as far as housing goes. I rent a 1300 sq. ft. house in a pretty nice area about 10 mins from campus for $600/mo. I've got a garage and a fenced in back-yard. The city itself is pretty nice - again, laid back and friendly. You could argue that there isn't all that much to do, but I feel like any place is what you make of it. There's a pretty good downtown area - lots of bars and places to hang out. It's kind of a meat-market if you ask me, but its still fun to go down there.

I would say the school is much more clinically oriented than research. That doesn't mean you can't do research here. Because it's a health sciences center, there is plenty of opportunity to do research within any of the deptartments on campus. I think most people who come here want a more clinical experience, so finding research opportunities during your schooling here isn't very hard, at least from what I hear.

I'm afraid I can't answer your other 2 questions concerning board scores and specializing. I know OU offers most but not all specialty programs within the metro area, and I cannot remember which ones are offered here and which ones aren't - but you can go other places to do whatver dental specialty you want. I'm sure that information could be found on the website, but the site doesn't seem to be working. It looks like they are trying to re-do the site and haven't got most of it up. Here's the site http://dentistry.ouhsc.edu/, but good luck finding much of anything on it at this time.

One more thing - the dental school building was built in the shape of a molar, if that helps sway you any. It's a bit odd, actually - but it does look like a big tooth. I just hope they let me in to the molar this year.

I hope I've helped answer some of your questions. Let me know if you have any more.

Yea, thanks a lot, your answers really helped. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm now seriously considering about applying to OU.

ems5184 said:
Yea, thanks a lot, your answers really helped. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm now seriously considering about applying to OU.

Awesome! Are you from OK originally? Can you tell I'm bored here at work - I reply almost immediately after you post, haha.

Haha no, I'm from Michigan, lived here all my life. But I have some friends who will be going to OU for undergrad and grad school next year, so this kinda peaked my interest.

wahlbj said:
Awesome! Are you from OK originally? Can you tell I'm bored here at work - I reply almost immediately after you post, haha.

Brian--have you heard from OU yet????? :thumbup:

Brain-

Is that piture actually you? If so you look EXACTLY like this guy Ian I once knew. He lived in Norman... I think you have an unknown twin :)

Hahahaha (it is funny to me)

fleisch said:
Brian--have you heard from OU yet????? :thumbup:

No word yet - I talked to Judy on Monday and she said the letters will probably go out on Tuesday (today).

From the latest post on the other OU thread, it sounds like I'm headed to the wait list or the rejection list - we'll see.

And yep, that's me in the pic, doing my best "blue steel" look (if you've seen Zoolander, you know what I'm talking about).

Ask some questions. I have followed OU's program and have had close friends attend OUCOD for the last 6 years. In a sense I have attended vicariously.

If I don't know the answer I can find out for you. :thumbup: