OU-HCOM Summer Scholars 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AAB5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Is anyone out there applying for the Ohio University Summer Scholars program for 2012?

Members don't see this ad.

GO to ur inbox

Last edited:

Hey guys, I also applied to this summer program. I really hope I getaccepted. This program is perfect for me. Where are you guys from?

Members don't see this ad :)
I also applied to this program. I am very interested in osteopathic medicine, and really like the idea of an early interview. How nice would it be to avoid the hassle of having to apply with the general population. I believe the email they sent said they were going to start evaluating applicants after may 5. Best of luck to everyone.

I applied as well! I am out of state so hopefully that does not hurt my chances. Anyone know how many people applied this year? I think a thread from last year said 80 applications were completed for ~20 spots.

Not sure about this year, but I would guess that the number continues to increase each year as more students become interested in osteopathic medicine.

Good luck everyone! I was lucky enough to be a summer scholar last year and have nothing but good things to say about the program and OU. The institution in general is a true gem. Some you already have, but feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

I am also applying from out of state. I thought they were accepting up to 25students depending on the pool of applicants. Is it now set at 20?

I called and talked to Dr. Schriner, he said there are 22 positions available and about~70 applications completed.

Did he say when they were going to release their decisions? I'm getting impatient.

Yeah he did, sometime during the first part of April. I'm super excited about the program! Everyone I have talked to there has been super helpful

Yeah he did, sometime during the first part of April. I'm super excited about the program! Everyone I have talked to there has been super helpful
I was hoping for earlier decisions. I recently was accepted to another SURF program and was given to the end of march to decline or accept the offer. I really don't want to turn down a sure thing, but OU-HCOM is one of my top choices...... I guess I will have to see if i can get an extension.

Hey Leggo, I would call OUCOM and talk to Michelle or Dr. Schriner, they are both incredibly helpful...let them know about your situation....maybe they could speed up the process for all of us :D

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
That would be glorious if they could speed up the process for all of us! I'm so excited to find out if I'm in or not. Everybody has been so friendly and the program seems like a great way into OU-HCOM! Are you guys looking into any other schools?

For me I am planning on applying to ~10 DO schools, LECOM would be another top choice of mine...personally I just want an acceptance!

I was in the same situation as Leggo, I had a job offer that started in June. I was told by the company that I had two weeks to accept. I called OUCOM and they were very accommodating

Hi!

I'm OU student too. I plan to apply for summer scholar too. When should I apply?
I will graduate in 2014.

Thank you very much

It's late this year (2012) to apply. You would have to apply for summer of 2013 by March 1st of next year.

Im considering ou pretty heavily since I'm from Ohio and it's just like our little hidden gem when it comes to med schools lol. Seriously it needs more notariety! After talking to students there it just seems like the perfect fit! But with that bein said I'm also considering other schools so I don't put all my eggs in one basket. Did u guys already take the mcat or is anyone taking it in may?

Im considering ou pretty heavily since I'm from Ohio and it's just like our little hidden gem when it comes to med schools lol. Seriously it needs more notariety! After talking to students there it just seems like the perfect fit! But with that bein said I'm also considering other schools so I don't put all my eggs in one basket. Did u guys already take the mcat or is anyone taking it in may?

Shhh... no hidden gems to see here.. move along folks :smuggrin:

OU grads can be found in almost every major medical center in the state of Ohio. Soon when we open up our Columbus branch campus in 2014 and also a third branch campus sometime later with The Cleveland Clinic in Northeast Ohio, people all over the state will start taking more notice. But don't forget it all started here in Athens!

Go Bobcats:thumbup:

Nope, haven't heard anything either. They said in an email that we would know sometime in "early April." Who knows when it will be

No reply here either. I really was interested in OUHCOM's program, but waiting till the second week of april (or beyond...who knows?) when applications closed March 1 (for only 70 applicants) is ridiculous. OU should realize that applicants have probably applied to several summer programs, programs that are not willing to extend acceptance offers past a couple of weeks. I was lucky to gain acceptance to another SURP program, and since i was unwilling to forgo a sure thing, I will not be attending OU this summer. This is very unfortunate as OU was my top choice.

I wish you all the best of luck, and will keep everyone posted of my final status at OU.

Yeah, I haven't heard anything either. Hopefully they let us know soon, this was the only summer program that I applied too. Good luck to you Leggo.

i check my email every 5 minutes aghh anyway hopefully we find out uh tomorrow!!

Can you who applied share what year you are(junior, senior, postbac?) also can you share if you were urm or disadvantaged?

Mcats? GPA?

Well last year’s applicants received a decision today (4/12). I’m sure we'llfind out very soon. Good luck to everyone. I hope we all get this amazing opportunityto prove ourselves and become classmates in OU-HCOM’s class of 2017

Just got an email! I'll be in Ohio for the summer!

congrats! any tips on applying for next year?

Congratulations to both of you. I just received an email saying that I was selected as an alternate. It definitely hurts, but I'm going to keep hoping a spot opens up for me soon.

Thanks el_futuro! Keep us posted on when you move off the waitlist!

Hello,

I just recently applied for the Summer Scholars Program at OUHCOM and I was wondering when did you find out if you got in?

basketballgirl1,

I also applied this year and I'm getting pretty anxious since they initially said "early April" we'd hear back from them about decisions. However, they have had a change in administration (I believe it's due to the OU expansion project) so we won't be getting a response until "mid April". I'm guessing this is any day now (I'm thinking next Friday at the latest). Good Luck !!! Hopefully, we'll get an acceptance soon !

Hello,

I actually just found out and I got in!!! I'm so excited!!! They said they will be sending emails out later this week!!

Congratulations ! How did you find out you got in ?!!! Did you call ? Have emails already been sent out or are they sending them this upcoming week?

Last edited:
Congratulations ! How did you find out you got in ?!!! Did you call ? Have emails already been sent out or are they sending them this upcoming week?

I just found out I got accepted as well.. I am out of state you should receive an email.. when I called last week they said if you don't receive anything by this comming tuesday that you should call

Bump! I applied to Summer scholars this year... Waiting for feedback from the adcom. Did anyone else apply?

I applied too! I kinda just want to know if I got in or not so I can plan accordingly!! It seems like such a cool program

I applied too! I kinda just want to know if I got in or not so I can plan accordingly!! It seems like such a cool program
YES! the suspense is killing me! I feel like my life is in limbo at the moment. lol

I applied for their SURF and am also still waiting to hear back.

NO, I haven't hears anything from summer scholars. Im still here just waiting It said we would hear something early April but seem as if that's quickly turning into mid to late April.