OU-OKC vs. OU-Tulsa SCM??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nI7hwe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I don't know if anyone can answer this question, but I'll give it a shot. Does anyone know much about the OU College of Medicine in Oklahoma City and The School of Community Medicine in Tulsa, Oklahoma? I know that if you choose Tulsa, your last two years are committed to being there, but after graduation, is there a limit to the types of residencies you can apply for? (especially if you decide to take their med school scholarship where you work for them for 4 years after residency to pay back the loans) I've been trying to find a list of approved residencies or some sort of thing, with no success.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all. I don't know if anyone can answer this question, but I'll give it a shot. Does anyone know much about the OU College of Medicine in Oklahoma City and The School of Community Medicine in Tulsa, Oklahoma? I know that if you choose Tulsa, your last two years are committed to being there, but after graduation, is there a limit to the types of residencies you can apply for? (especially if you decide to take their med school scholarship where you work for them for 4 years after residency to pay back the loans) I've been trying to find a list of approved residencies or some sort of thing, with no success.

Thanks!

Well, this is quite a specific, and perhaps complicated question so I'm not totally positive about some of the particulars, but I don't believe that attending the SofCM would put you at any disadvantage for residency opportunities. That being said, I think the primary mission of the Comm Med track is to develop primary care physicians for rural areas. But again, like any rural med program, there should be numerous opportunities available regardless. Actually, I think many students choose this track due to its Tulsa location more than anything.

Now, the scholarship would likely carry a significant amount of weight, so I would think that's a question best directed Dotty Shaw or Dr. Baker.

I chose the SOCM track. Nearly everyone I've spoken with has said that it shouldn't have any impact, positively or negatively, on residency competitiveness (the final two years are clinical rotations and Tulsa has just as good opportunities for these as OKC).

I actually chose it because I genuinely believe in its mission, so there's that.

As for residencies, it seems like you can do any residency you want (in state or out of state) and still get the scholarship. The requirement is that after 90 days of your residency's end, you have to move back to Oklahoma and serve an "underserved community" which is up to the discretion of the SOCM committee.

It really is a great program, especially if you chose medicine to help improve health inequities.

Status
Not open for further replies.