OUCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
New year, new discussion starts here!

Members don't see this ad.

I will kick off the 2011-2012 OUCOM thread! Anyone else have this school at the top of their list?

I went to OU undergrad, LOVED my experience and I'm really hoping to get in this cycle! I'm a non-trad student (graduated from OU in 2006).

Good Luck everyone! :)

I hope OU will show me some love and grant me at least an interview this fall!

Members don't see this ad :)
is anyone applying for a second time? I was just wondering how they were going about rewriting their personal statement. Any advice will be welcomed, thank you.

even though im from NJ, i really hope I have success with this school. It looks like a great school so I am excited. I submitted my primary 6/2! here we go!

How big is the region bias for this school? I am an IL resident but I really like this school. Stats: 26R(9-9-8), cGPA:3.53, sGPA:3.13.

How big is the region bias for this school? I am an IL resident but I really like this school. Stats: 26R(9-9-8), cGPA:3.53, sGPA:3.13.

Pretty strong. It is a state funded school, so Ohio residents get priority. Also remember about the 5 year contract. It is a great school though!

What exactly is the 5-yr contract?

From what I understand, you sign a contract saying you will practice medicine in Ohio for 5 years after you graduate. I would look it up to be sure though

From what I understand, you sign a contract saying you will practice medicine in Ohio for 5 years after you graduate. I would look it up to be sure though

Yeah, if you're OOS. Interviewed and was accepted here for this fall, but am going elsewhere. Very nice school though; the cadaver lab is soooooo nice and new, the people are really nice, and the food they serve is really, really good. The campus seems nice and safe, but local rent is outrageous for the area and it's smack in the middle of nowhere.

As an Ohio resident, OU is definitely one of my top choices. While Athens certainly isn't the most desireable place to live, I have heard nothing but positive comments from the med students I know that go there. You guys are right about the 5-year contract for OOS students..I could definitely see that being a deterrent. Good luck to everyone!

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK? submitted my primary, waiting for secondary.

Experience: Military (Marines- tour in Iraq), Shadowed DO (have letter), Worked with brain injured adults, Overcame some of obstacles(ex. Orphan, foster care, homeless stuff like that), very interested in this school.

cGPA: 3.58, SGPA: 3.67, MCAT: 21

Thanks for your input adn good luck, oh yea NJ resident.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I hope I get into this school. Tell me what you think. I grew up as an orphan, abused, attended eighteen schools growing up. Kicked out of foster care when eighteen; no money, no car, no DL and barely graduated highschool. Despite having no family and being homeless for some time I served in the Marine Corps for four years, One tour in Iraq, Recently completed Junior year. (BA Biology-GPA-3.58-science-3.67) Mcat is low 21.

Also, if you didn't know the statistics.
98 percent of youth in foster care do not graduate college
75 percent do not graduate highschool
3 out of ten of the current homeless population are former foster youth
the list goes on....

My question is, do I have a chance?

Thanks

clearly hoping to ride the sympathy wave as I am not sure what any of that stuff has to do with anything. the 21 may be too low.

changing the subject, has anyone received secondaries yet? OOS applicant and did not know about the 5 year contract, but i could do it if I had to.

Sir,

Although I should not dignify that with a response,

Thank you for your response. I appreciate your concern in regards to the "Sympathy card" However, my question is not if I am playing the sympathy card. My question is in reference to, "If overcoming these eperiences and obstacles help my overall application?"

I also have shadowed a DO and recieved a Letter from him. I have volunteered in mentorship programs, I have worked with brain injured adults. Oh, by the way I noticed your profile pic.... I bench press close to 400 pounds.

Thank you for your wisdom,

P.S Also, as a former Marine and a war veteran I witnessed Iraqi children with missing limbs, I cleaned up the aftermath of bombings. As a youth I witnessed a twelve year old overdose on heroine. I do not wish for sympathy rather the opportunity to live and succeed. So their lives were not lost in vain. Thank you ignoramous.

Last edited:
Got the secondary this morning, IS.

@panaylor- I think your life experiences will help your application as they give you something to write about in secondaries and ps that could catch an adcoms attention. I would retake the mcat if possible, shoot for something in the mid 20s at least. Good luck.

Sir,

Although I should not dignify that with a response,

Thank you for your response. I appreciate your concern in regards to the "Sympathy card" However, my question is not if I am playing the sympathy card. My question is in reference to, "If overcoming these eperiences and obstacles help my overall application?"

I also have shadowed a DO and recieved a Letter from him. I have volunteered in mentorship programs, I have worked with brain injured adults. Oh, by the way I noticed your profile pic.... I bench press close to 400 pounds.

Thank you for your wisdom,

P.S Also, as a former Marine and a war veteran I witnessed Iraqi children with missing limbs, I cleaned up the aftermath of bombings. As a youth I witnessed a twelve year old overdose on heroine. I do not wish for sympathy rather the opportunity to live and succeed. So their lives were not lost in vain. Thank you ignoramous.

no i did not say you don't have valid experiences that will look good in your application. putting this stuff in your application tactfully can set you apart which is incredibly valuable. you don't NEED a post that says "look how horrible my life is and how awesome I am in spite of it." THAT post was clearly looking for sympathy. example:

this is my gpa and mcat, but I do have many obstacles that I have overcome to set me apart. wamc?

vs.

what you put.

no one can tell you how valuable your experiences are except for an admissions committee, and being highly educated, you should know that. you also know that you have a low mcat. will the experiences make up for the MCAT? probably not a 21 depending on your residency. therefore, giving statistics about foster care has no relevance in this thread except to play the sympathy card. and the "i bench press x" is comical because it has nothing to do with anything. i am the ignoramus? right.

ANYWAY. back on topic, good luck to all that apply here.

Last edited:
Thank you for your thoughts. I will apply and pray I get in, If I don't, there is next year.

Good luck everyone. :eek:

just got the secondary here today. OOS. ill probably get it in the mail monday mourning. I have had the essay all done but I have work all day tommorow.

I guess OUCOM doesnt use interfolio? I breifly read through the secondary but it says they take them directly in person from the professors themselves. ill have to do some more research tommorow night when Im not exhausted.

just got the secondary here today. OOS. ill probably get it in the mail monday mourning. I have had the essay all done but I have work all day tommorow.

I guess OUCOM doesnt use interfolio? I breifly read through the secondary but it says they take them directly in person from the professors themselves. ill have to do some more research tommorow night when Im not exhausted.

Ditto

just checked the 2012 CIB on AACOMAS and it says they will take interfolio letters, but if you find out something different, let us know.

just checked the 2012 CIB on AACOMAS and it says they will take interfolio letters, but if you find out something different, let us know.

Really that's a relief. I hear the acceptance rate for oos is like 15 percent of the applicants accepted. I will still do my secondary, and hope they like me....:eek:

Good luck to everyone.

Really that's a relief. I hear the acceptance rate for oos is like 15 percent of the applicants accepted. I will still do my secondary, and hope they like me....:eek:

Good luck to everyone.
glad your still doing it. I am. i really think the 5 year contract deters many applicants which is what causes the low OOS acceptance rate. seriously.

My application was verified on July 4th but have not heard anything from OU. Anyone know the timing for sending secondary apps to people?

My application was verified on July 4th but have not heard anything from OU. Anyone know the timing for sending secondary apps to people?

Hey, I got verified on June 23rd and the applciation was sent to OUCOM on July 1st. I just now received a secondary. You should be receiving it in a day or two. I would advice u to start thinking about why osteopathic medicine question in the secondary.
thanks!

How many words?

The Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine at Ohio University is inter
ested in finding out more about
you as an applicant. To enable us to gain a better understanding of your activities, working experiences, and personal philosophy and their relationship to osteopathic medicine, you are asked to complete this secondary
application form. Please be open, candid and honest in your responses. Feel free to draw on your school
experiences, extra-curricular activities, or working experience as a basis for your answers.
(over)
We prefer you limit your personal statement to the space provided. If additional space is absolutely necessary, please use a
sheet of 8 1/2” X 11” plain paper, and put your name in the upper right corner.

i could not find the limit. But on the application, they have about 3/4 a page of space to write on. Hope this helps!

The Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine at Ohio University is inter
ested in finding out more about
you as an applicant. To enable us to gain a better understanding of your activities, working experiences, and personal philosophy and their relationship to osteopathic medicine, you are asked to complete this secondary
application form. Please be open, candid and honest in your responses. Feel free to draw on your school
experiences, extra-curricular activities, or working experience as a basis for your answers.
(over)
We prefer you limit your personal statement to the space provided. If additional space is absolutely necessary, please use a
sheet of 8 1/2” X 11” plain paper, and put your name in the upper right corner.

i could not find the limit. But on the application, they have about 3/4 a page of space to write on. Hope this helps!

Wow, so this is a paper application? Is this 1985? :)

...and did you guys receive this through the mail?

It seems like it will be mailed too, but I was sent an email from Office of Admissions!
btw, I called them up and asked if i could save some time by not sending the snail mail and scanning/faxing it in, and they said yes..so we all can potentially save some time!

OU-HCOM emailed me this message today. An hour before I mailed my application. Everyone make sure you have the right paperwork.

Dear Applicant,

Due to a computer glitch the secondary application materials you received were from the 2011 application cycle. The problem has been solved and this e-mail contains the correct 2012 Secondary Application for OU-HCOM. If you have already forwarded the 2011 application please just submit the front page of the 2012 Secondary so that we have the correct application year in your file. Your will also not need to send another secondary fee. Any questions please give us a call at 1-800-345-1560. Thank you for your patience with the situation.

OU-HCOM

hey guys,

so i am currently working on the essay for the secondary. those of you who already turned in it, did you actually write down specific experiences to explain why u wanna become a D.O. or was it mainly general. Also, for why you wanna attend the school, basically you tied in how ur values tie in with the school's mission? Just want to clarify

hm.....got the OOS stuff today. Paper app, 5 year contract, high tuition, evaluation pain in my arse. i may sit on this app for awhile and see what happens with my other schools. good luck to everyone applying here. unless i am missing something.

hey guys,

so i am currently working on the essay for the secondary. those of you who already turned in it, did you actually write down specific experiences to explain why u wanna become a D.O. or was it mainly general. Also, for why you wanna attend the school, basically you tied in how ur values tie in with the school's mission? Just want to clarify

You should include specific experiences from your life

hm.....got the OOS stuff today. Paper app, 5 year contract, high tuition, evaluation pain in my arse. i may sit on this app for awhile and see what happens with my other schools. good luck to everyone applying here. unless i am missing something.
i didnt do the evaluation for the LOR's since I sent them in through interfolio. at the same time, if they required it anyways well then i guess im screwed.

I am a member of the class of 2015. I thought my experience in not being accepted to 2014 and my ultimate acceptance in to 2015 would be useful for those trying to re-focus a second attempt.

I think my weakness (outside of my GPA) was a lack of focus on why osteopathy. My university did not stress DO during my undergrad, and it did hit me until my application that, while DO certainly fit my personality and goals, I was poorly prepared to talk about this. Expressing these goals is key to admissions.

Between my first and second application, I shadowed a DO. I was with him through roughly 50 proceedures over the course of a year. This provided me with not just specific talking points, but also a strong letter of rec.

In addition, I read the summer reading list suggested by OUCOM for the 2014 class (the same reading list for 2015). They take books that are to introduce us to the topics the school feels important. Does this not seem the perfect source of talking points on issues and what it is to be a DO? I also had a copy of their recruiting CD given at the end of the class of 2014 attempt (something you can request) to study. They focus on their message, which can help you vocalize your message. I find their key words fill the air a bit better than "umm" as you stumble through your narrative in the interview.

I had alraedy matriculated when I learned I would not be part of 2014. I had a 32 MCAT and, as my name implies, served as a medic in the Army. My real handicap was my GPA. I talked my way in to graduate classes at OSU through the dental program and immunology department to get classes with people that either taught or organized classes for the OSU Medical School. I had to do well (and I did). Having the ability to use that as a talking point to sure up the GPA portion of the discussion led to greater confidence. I think it answered they ?s.

I learned a lot from the OU interview process the first time. It was unlike interviews at other schools. It is a real chance to have a conversation to distinguish one's self as being different from the rest. I made sure to focus my stories to meet the goal: 3 people will interview to act as your advocate at the end of the day. You have to give them something they can unify around and be empassioned about being your advocate to the other two groups of three that never met you. While they could have asked me any question from the big book of interview questions, I had three storie of moral importance ready and rehearsed. I feel certain that when they got together, my group of three interviewers had a unified and coherent vision of the medical student I would be. (Comparing this to the 2014 interview, I did not steer the conversation well at all, and I am not certain what message was taken from the end of the interview)

My last bit of advice is to remember why you are there come lunch time. Lunch is great--Dr. S will rightfully brag about the food. You will meet some interesting characters--perhaps even me--during this lunch that are part of the class ahead of you, and it will be your first time to talk all day. I ate quickly the second time I was interviewed and excused myself shortly after to find the interview office I was to be at and collected my thoughts. I would not have known to have done this without my class of 2014 failure.

PS--Don't forget that Admissions will, from time to time, log on to see what the general buzz is about in regards to the school. Don't let the wrong first impression be of an argument on the front page of the '11-'12 page.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. It is appreciated and helpful.

Got the secondary a few days ago! Hoping to finish up this weekend.

Well since she is an Ohio resident, she automatically gets a secondary as long as she met the requirements. (same goes for me)

i was reading through last years thread. appearantly you get invites via snail mail. earlist I saw was 8/18. so ill be checking my mailbox like a crazy person that week lol

Got an interview invite for OU today via snail mail for Sept. 23! Let me know if anyone else gets one!!

Got an interview invite for OU today via snail mail for Sept. 23! Let me know if anyone else gets one!!

hi! i applied awhile ago too and just was wondering what are ur stats? My GPA is high, but mcat is on the low side. Also, stupid ?, but snail mail is e-mail, right? Thanks :)

Congrats!! My fingers are crossed for an interview as well!

hi! i applied awhile ago too and just was wondering what are ur stats? My GPA is high, but mcat is on the low side. Also, stupid ?, but snail mail is e-mail, right? Thanks :)

I will answer it for you, but snail mail is just regular mail. So be checking your mailbox a lot these next few days!

Congrats!! My fingers are crossed for an interview as well!

Thanks! This is my #1 choice, and first interview invite, so I was pumped! Best of luck to you, I'm pulling for you all!

I was complete 8/10 and the interview letter was dated 8/15...so it seems like their turn around time can be pretty quick!

I was complete 8/10 and the interview letter was dated 8/15...so it seems like their turn around time can be pretty quick!

did you get an e-mail for when you were complete? I was complete like back in July and still no word. what were ur stats if you dont mind sharing?

did you get an e-mail for when you were complete? I was complete like back in July and still no word. what were ur stats if you dont mind sharing?

They don't tell you when you are complete, you need to call to verify yourself.

Ohio resident here

Does anyone know if that contract can be delayed until after military contract is up?