OUCOM or MSUCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
O

OUCOM Doc

I'd like your opinion.

MSUCOM vs. OUCOM

Please post stats if you were accepted.

Class of 2007

Members don't see this ad.

Please email me.

-JmE-

An important note:

I applied to both schools (among others) and found that OUCOM has a requirement you must sign agreeing to practice in Ohio for at least 5 years after completing your residency. This is not bad if you were planning on being in OH anyway, but important to know. Had I known this before I applying, I wouldn't have spent the money sending my primary app there.

In comparing OUCOM and MSUCOM, there is a lot more than this, but it is one thing you should know.

BTW, I chose MSUCOM! If you have q's on their prgm, I'd be happy to help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lighthouse,

I agree with you that "...OUCOM has a requirement you must sign agreeing to practice in Ohio for at least 5 years after completing your residency. This is not bad if you were planning on being in OH anyway, but important to know."

Are you a Michigan state resident? If not, do you think that the out of state tuition fee of $38,000 per year extremely steep? To many people, it is quite prohibitive. Maybe it's their way of discouraging out of state applicants from applying.

I am a resident of MI.

As far at the out of state tuition costs, they are high, yes. I have not met very many classmates who are from out of state. I know that they do purposely limit the number of out of staters in each class - since they are funded partially by the state of Michigan they must. However, the out of state tuition price doesn't make it that far off some of the private DO schools. Additionally, I have seen much worse out of state costs.

If you are from outside MI, tuition is one downside to MSUCOM, but I think it is worth applying and checking out the school when you interview, then making your decision.