Out of questions with 3 weeks left...get USMLERx?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ischiowhat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Done with UWorld and Kaplan with about 3 weeks to go... is USMLERx pretty much all that's left? Worth the 100 bucks?

Members don't see this ad.

USMLE Rx was fantastic. I finished it last month. I got the one-year for $199, but I'd say it's worth about $399. Even though you've already hit UWorld and Kaplan, Rx is definitely worth it. Given you're three weeks-out, I would do Rx at ~300 Qs /day x 10 days in timed-mode. At the end of the 8 hours of questions each day, spend four hours going back through Qs and hammering just stuff you saw that day that you weren't 1000% sure about. When you finish the 3000 Qs, dismiss Rx and don't touch it again. Spend the remaining ~10ish days doing FA ~10 hrs/day followed by UWorld again, timed, at 4-5 hrs = 14-5 hr days. I would guess that that would come out to a 5-10 point increase.

What do you base these point increases on? Are you taking NBMEs to evaluate your progress?

USMLE Rx was fantastic. I finished it last month. I got the one-year for $199, but I'd say it's worth about $399. Even though you've already hit UWorld and Kaplan, Rx is definitely worth it. Given you're three weeks-out, I would do Rx at ~300 Qs /day x 10 days in timed-mode. At the end of the 8 hours of questions each day, spend four hours going back through Qs and hammering just stuff you saw that day that you weren't 1000% sure about. When you finish the 3000 Qs, dismiss Rx and don't touch it again. Spend the remaining ~10ish days doing FA ~10 hrs/day followed by UWorld again, timed, at 4-5 hrs = 14-5 hr days. I would guess that that would come out to a 5-10 point increase.

I like your detailed recommendations, but some people don't want to or can't do 14 hour days.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you base these point increases on? Are you taking NBMEs to evaluate your progress?

I make that estimate based on how much I felt I had benefited from Rx in relation to how much I had known before starting it. Because I'm early in prep, it was probably a 30-point jump for me. However for someone who's already done UWorld and Kaplan and is near the exam, the gain would definitely be smaller, but also still very significant.

I like your detailed recommendations, but some people don't want to or can't do 14 hour days.

That's just what I believe would be best with respect to his particular scenario. If he can only bust 10-hour days, then I'd merely recommend adjusting the ratio.

So it's based on a gut feeling. I figured you'd be more objective in evaluating the yield from these tools.

I def. recommend USMLE RX, do as many as you can. It helped me learn first aid and it helped get a handful of questions on the actual exam