Out of state 1 year, then in-state tuition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dcreynol

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey.
I just had a quick question about the whole tuition. For public state schools, do out-of-state students only pay the out-of-state tuition only the first year? And then since they were residents of the state, is it in-state for the next 3 years? I understand that most of the privates are 20-30K a year, however if out-of-state schools are 20-30K for the first year, and then they dip down to in-state of <10K...Well, I'm sure someone has an answer. Right?
Thanks,
Dave

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools don't change your status from what I've discovered in law schools and dental schools. Actually UNLV dental school is one of the only places I've ever seen that does this. I don't know about pharmacy schools.

i know university of maryland doesn't change your status unless you earn a certain amount of money instate ( it usually comes to about 10-15 g's a year).. they make it pretty tough.. so the answer is no.. most schools don't automatically switch you over.. it means less money for them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools want to see you there for a year for "non-academic" pursuits in order to change your status. (i.e. working full time for a year).

UC schools will let you apply for resident tuition starting your 2nd year. You have to prove that you've established residency, ie registering your car, getting a CA DL, voting, paying taxes, closing out-of-state accounts, etc., by the residency determination deadline for the year.