Out of State Applications...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedgal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all.
I am a graduating from a university in KY with a great reputation. My GPA is okay 3.3, but I still have time to bring it up. My MCAT is 32, and I have been working full time as a unit secretary in the emergency room at a local hospital for 2.5 years. I work directly with the physicians, and have a list of responsibilities. I was also an assistant soccer coach for a high school in KY. I'm wondering if I have any shot of getting accepted to schools in Ohio. Or what could I do to improve, aside from raising my GPA. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Check out the MSAR, or other resources (like the schools' web pages). They usually breakdown how many OOS applicants they get, and how many OOS interviews and sometimes acceptances they give out. You can get a feel for how OOS-friendly they are - some won't be worth your time; some will. Also, they might look more favorably on a Kentuckian (is that a word?) since you're closeby. It all depends on the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
chemist is right - ohio is generally pretty friendly towards OOS people (except WSU, toledo, NEOUCOM, etc...). Definitely start getting your GPA up. I would also take a look at the MSAR or something similar to see what kind of chaces you have. Here's two extremes:

For ohio state OOS:

3477 applied, 429 interviewed, 249 were accepted, 101 enrolled

So basically almost half the class was OOS.

For wright state OOS:

2157 applied, 48 interviewed, 18 were accepted, 8 enrolled

only 8% was OOS

good luck! :luck:

Depends on how much you can improve your gpa. Your stats are decent for schools like Toledo, Ohio state, and a few others. Chances at UofCinn and Case Western are a bit slimmer. But overall you seem like a good candidate, strong mcat, strong EC's, ok gpa...you should get in somewhere. I would apply broadly though, not just ohio

Id say toledo is your best shot...OHSU is probably out of reach...maybe apply to U cin and Case as well.

There are a few schools in Ohio (Maybe more than a few) that consider some Kentucky residents as in-state for app purposes. I don't know the specifics as I only glanced at it, but check out Cinci and see if you fit that category.

Last edited: