Out-of-state pharm students finding-job strategy in CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

scoopydoo123

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,
I know it is oversaturation in CA (Orange County to be specific) and the only way to get a job is through CONNECTIONs, but if you are out of state students and work backward to have connections in CA. What would you do?
I only have two solutions: 1 is through rotations, 2 is getting a residency in CA.
 
LOL, you are right & my friend's uncle bought a house there cuz of the zip code. 🙁 But I want to live close to my family
i'm taking about the best method when we try our hardest + lucky.
ex. I know one who graduated from USC and got a rotation at Kaiser -> got a job right after. T_T
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, welcome to the real world lol.

Honestly, once you are making 110-130k/year out in the middle of nowhere, you can basically move your family out in the rural area with you. From my understanding, a 500K house in CA buys you a shack where in rural Western states and the Midwest, 500K buys you a mansion.

Totally get wanting to live with family btw. Home is where your heart is.
 
Hi guys,
I know it is oversaturation in CA (Orange County to be specific) and the only way to get a job is through CONNECTIONs, but if you are out of state students and work backward to have connections in CA. What would you do?
I only have two solutions: 1 is through rotations, 2 is getting a residency in CA.

Really try to get a residency in ORANGE COUNTY.

As I've posted many times before, I did a monitoring experiment for job search on indeed. Over a course of 2 months, there were maybe 3 (three) jobs posted on Indeed that were not retail in Orange County. Compare that to LA county - easily 10 jobs posting per week if not more. Keep in mind that most job postings are not real - they already have a candidate to fill the spot but have to post for legal reasons. The availability of jobs in Orange County just isn't there. My guess is once someone gets in (students/residents) they will fight tooth and nail to stay.

If you cannot get a residency in Orange County (not LA, not Inland empire, Orange County), be prepared to work elsewhere first and move when something comes up. There are people who live in OC who commute 80 miles one way a day to work in non-retail settings.

As I've said, if you're prepared for the most brutal job search ever, you'll be ok.

GypsyHummus said:
Honestly, once you are making 110-130k/year out in the middle of nowhere, you can basically move your family out in the rural area with you. From my understanding, a 500K house in CA buys you a shack where in rural Western states and the Midwest, 500K buys you a mansion.

Amen. I would never live in the SoCal metro had it not been for family. I've thought about moving family too. The problem is when you have to move not just parents but also grandparents who are already so used to living in their communities all these years. Plus they own property that is now worth well over 1.5 mil. Hard to tell them to sell that and move to the Midwest.

Your understanding is correct in the major CA metros (Bay, LA, SD). In the Central Valley (wonderful places if you can withstand the heat and understand that non-single people go home after work, not out to party after a 10-hr shift, so living in Modesto isn't vastly different from LA on a workday), the pricing is more reasonable and more comparable to elsewhere in other states. Not sure if it's as cheap as the Midwest, but definitely doable on a pharmacist income. The pay is also 15-20% more than in the big 3 metros.
 
Last edited:
Doing rotations or residency where you want to eventually end up practicing is how most people do it - but sometimes it ends up being a disadvantage if you don't do really well. I've found that if preceptors already know the student, they tend to have higher expectations and might focus more on the negatives, compared to an applicant we only see on paper and haven't had personal interactions with. On the flip side, if you kick butt on the rotation, they'll fight hard for you to get an interview or match there. This might just be my personal experience, but it's what I've noticed...Other than that, I know a few people who found jobs in the OC area through recruiters so that might be an option as well.
 
"Keep in mind that most job postings are not real - they already have a candidate to fill the spot but have to post for legal reasons"
I just learned this. Tks for info.

For recruiter, I will offer them up to 3000$ if they can find me a contract (or leading to staff/full) job in OC. Hope this is a good strategy as well
 
Last edited:
I’d try inland empire. I think it’s about an hour of commute. But good luck finding a job there too.

If you a residency trained with broad clinical experience you may have a better chance. If you are retail, maybe you can find some independents in the 50 dollar range if you are lucky lol.
 
"Keep in mind that most job postings are not real - they already have a candidate to fill the spot but have to post for legal reasons"
I just learned this. Tks for info.

For recruiter, I will offer them up to 3000$ if they can find me a contract (or leading to staff/full) job in OC. Hope this is a good strategy as well

So this is how low the profession has fallen. You have to PAY for the opportunity to work. Now it’s a race to the top on who is willing to tack the most on top of their already astronomical student loans to land a job.
 
"Keep in mind that most job postings are not real - they already have a candidate to fill the spot but have to post for legal reasons"
I just learned this. Tks for info.

For recruiter, I will offer them up to 3000$ if they can find me a contract (or leading to staff/full) job in OC. Hope this is a good strategy as well

I already don’t want to hire you...
 
Hi guys,
I know it is oversaturation in CA (Orange County to be specific) and the only way to get a job is through CONNECTIONs, but if you are out of state students and work backward to have connections in CA. What would you do?
I only have two solutions: 1 is through rotations, 2 is getting a residency in CA.

You can find a job at independent stores if you take a substantial salary cut. Stores that are too busy for one pharmacist and need extra coverage are your best bet. High desert, Inland Empire / Indigo / central / etc.