Out of state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted727644

Is it smart to go out of state for pharmacy school? I am looking into New York pharmacy schools, but the living expenses +tuition seem expensive for out of staters

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to Buffalo out of state and they offered me a scholarship to bring my first year's tuition down to the in-state price, and they allow you to claim in-state residency after the first year.

Hey @manan982 , definitely check out some of the PSAR tables published by the AACP, which present statistics on each pharmacy school and its matriculants. Here are the pharmacy schools in New York state and their locations:
  • D'Youville (Buffalo)
  • Albany (Albany)
  • Buffalo (Buffalo)
  • Touro-NY (NYC)
  • St. John's (Queens)
  • St. John Fisher (Rochester)
  • A&M Schwartz (Brooklyn)
  • Binghamton (Johnson City) - granted precandidate status for accreditation by the ACPE
It turns out that most of these treat in- and out-of-state students equally! None of them give preference to in- or out-of-state students in admissions, and ALL of them have the same tuition for in- and out-of-state, except for Buffalo, where the tuition is $22K higher for out-of-state students. Like @dannnielleeee said, however, there's a good chance you might be eligible for scholarships or other forms of financial assistance. It's not unusual for some schools with a wide gap between in- and out-of-state tuition to find ways to make tuition more affordable for out-of-state students. The best way to find out would be to speak with their admissions department or get in touch with current students.

In terms of cost of living expenses, if your goal is to live in New York City or surrounding areas, three of the schools on this list meet that criterion (Touro-NY, St. John's, and A&M Schwartz). However, cost of living will be higher here. The other programs in other parts of the state will definitely have a much lower cost of living. Quality of life and cost of living are important criteria to consider if you want to be a happy pharmacy student!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like a lot of state schools are doing this for OOS applicants. I had three schools give me scholarships for being OOS. Some were better than others, but anything helps! Buffalo was one of those schools and they were the most generous with the scholarships.
Also, Buffalo is really cheap to live, compared to most of the US, so I would consider them over the other NY schools mentioned above, especially the private ones and newer state schools (Binghamton, for example).

It seems like a lot of state schools are doing this for OOS applicants. I had three schools give me scholarships for being OOS. Some were better than others, but anything helps! Buffalo was one of those schools and they were the most generous with the scholarships.
Also, Buffalo is really cheap to live, compared to most of the US, so I would consider them over the other NY schools mentioned above, especially the private ones and newer state schools (Binghamton, for example).
Definitely! Another thing to consider is that private schools, which have the same tuition for in- and out-of-state students, tend to have higher tuition than public schools, so the higher out-of-state tuition at public schools is often on par with private tuition across the board (both in- and out-of-state) - so getting in-state tuition or financial assistance at public schools can help make tuition more affordable, no matter where you go.