• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

williamChenry

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2005
Status
Hey,

I'm from NY and I just had a site that can check the history of any NY doctor such as Legal Action against, Board Certifications, Date of License issued, and where they received their education. I found that a great deal of doctors (respectable and notable ones) went to medical school in places such as Guadalarja, Mexico , and Puerto Rico.

Is it a lot harder now than it was years ago to get a respectable practice by going to a out of country Med. school? Are there any distinct discriminations now against doctors like that?

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2005
A bar room in Mombasa drinking gin
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Depends on who you ask. Personally a lot of the finest docs I know were trained (as far as med school was concerned) in India and one in the Phillipines. But you will see a lot of people on this forum who are obsessed (for lack of a better description) with prestige or at least perceived prestige that comes with going to a "top" medical school. Honestly I think the only people who really across the board give two sh-ts are premeds and academics.

About the Ads

Flopotomist

I love the Chicago USPS
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 22, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
williamChenry said:
what are some good schools out there?
I think this post should win some kind of an award... What are some good schools out there... wow.. what a post.

williamChenry

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2005
Status
out there,...as in out of the country....maybe you should read the title of the thread before you post

ti89

10+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2004
Status
Flopotomist said:
I think this post should win some kind of an award... What are some good schools out there... wow.. what a post.
here

nena

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2004
here, there, everywhere
Status
the puerto rico schools are US schools. they aren't like guadalajara and carib schools you know... alot of people think b/c its puerto rico that the grads are considered fmgs but they're not.

and you know, fmgs are just a good of doctors as US docs. i think its not the school that makes the doc but the person. every book is the same, maybe in different languages but its the same stuff. the body doesn't change across countries. its up to you to know and understand everything you can about medicine and how to practice it to become a good doctor. not just where you went to school.

so to answer you question if there are good schools out there, yes there are. everywhere.

dr.z

15+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2004
Detroit, MI
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
nena said:
the puerto rico schools are US schools. they aren't like guadalajara and carib schools you know... alot of people think b/c its puerto rico that the grads are considered fmgs but they're not.

and you know, fmgs are just a good of doctors as US docs. i think its not the school that makes the doc but the person. every book is the same, maybe in different languages but its the same stuff. the body doesn't change across countries. its up to you to know and understand everything you can about medicine and how to practice it to become a good doctor. not just where you went to school.

so to answer you question if there are good schools out there, yes there are. everywhere.
:thumbup:

futureMD222

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
williamChenry said:
Hey,

I'm from NY and I just had a site that can check the history of any NY doctor such as Legal Action against, Board Certifications, Date of License issued, and where they received their education. I found that a great deal of doctors (respectable and notable ones) went to medical school in places such as Guadalarja, Mexico , and Puerto Rico.

Is it a lot harder now than it was years ago to get a respectable practice by going to a out of country Med. school? Are there any distinct discriminations now against doctors like that?

Could you please post the link to this site? Thanks.

About the Ads