Out of time to study for MCAT Physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ruda1991

Reaction score
Any recommendations?

I have about 5 days to study for physics. Gen Chem and Ochem took longer than anticipated.
How can I maximize my time?
I was thinking optics, electrostatics, magnetism, sounds/waves, radiation.

Any other recommendations for those that were on a time crunch?
I’m decent at dimensional analysis, SI units, as well as got A’s in both physics courses 2 years ago. But it was so long ago 😅

Members don't see this ad.

You need to cancel. My C/P section was 50-60% physics (mix of everything), and if someone didn't study physics they would've had to void the exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the posts above. Taking a huge gamble if you take the exam that you won't have much physics. Mine was 50/50 ...had a friend say she had one stand alone question and another friend who said his C/P was 80% physics. Reschedule the exam for April/May when youve got the high yield physics mat down.

If you're absolutely having to take the exam now, yes, study the things you have listed, but specifically memorize formulas. I would recommend cancelling unless you're confident you can memorize a formula sheet, get some practice in with using each equation on it, are good at dimensional analysis, AND if you're very confident in your quantitative reasoning ability. As in you can quickly do algebra/calculus in your head to derive equations and relationships that you don't explicitly remember.

The way physics worked for me was I memorized a pretty big formula sheet and did maybe 30 practice UEarth questions about a year after getting As in my physics classes (I got a 131 on C/P). I didn't touch any review books or Khan Academy because biochemistry and biology sucked up all of my time. But I was kind of carried by my quantitative reasoning abilities (took calculus in 8th grade, so it felt very natural). Also you NEED to be very comfortable with scientific notation: that and dimensional analysis are huge players in most physics questions, especially ones that felt out of left field or ones I didn't know any formulas for.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're absolutely having to take the exam now, yes, study the things you have listed, but specifically memorize formulas. I would recommend cancelling unless you're confident you can memorize a formula sheet, get some practice in with using each equation on it, are good at dimensional analysis, AND if you're very confident in your quantitative reasoning ability. As in you can quickly do algebra/calculus in your head to derive equations and relationships that you don't explicitly remember.

The way physics worked for me was I memorized a pretty big formula sheet and did maybe 30 practice UEarth questions about a year after getting As in my physics classes (I got a 131 on C/P). I didn't touch any review books or Khan Academy because biochemistry and biology sucked up all of my time. But I was kind of carried by my quantitative reasoning abilities (took calculus in 8th grade, so it felt very natural). Also you NEED to be very comfortable with scientific notation: that and dimensional analysis are huge players in most physics questions, especially ones that felt out of left field or ones I didn't know any formulas for.
You’re my hero. Any good resources for getting good at dimensional analysis?

Unless you majored in physics, I would postpone the exam. If you choose to take it anyway, go ahead and schedule a retake.

You’re my hero. Any good resources for getting good at dimensional analysis?
Ah! Sorry for the late reply. But literally just practice problems! I used a few problems from UEarth and did AAMC FL 1, 3, and 4; those were frankly enough to help me calibrate my problem-solving schema to do well on test day.

Also, looking at formulas, knowing the units for all of their variables and constants, and being able to convert between base SI and non-base SI (i.e., a Joule is a Newton * meter; a Newton is a kg*m/s^2, so a Joule is also a kgm^2/s^2, etc. for the rest of mechanics equations and electricity/magnetism) should be good enough.

There’s really no benefit between taking it now vs mid late May. I’d recommend Uworld for practice. Kaplan and khan are decent for content review

I scored a 132 on C&P with a relatively weak Physics foundation (though I was a Math Major in Undergrad).

Cram these notes and make sure you know your dimensional analysis so you can "unit bash":

An equations primer:

Example of "Unit bashing": Most people know that the units of Force are Newtons. Well, Force = Mass x Acceleration. The units of Mass are [kg] and the units of Acceleration are [m/s^2]. Then the units of Net Force is just the product of these, so Force = [kg*m/s^2], which is equivalent to 1 N. So even if you forget that Net Force = Mass x Acceleration, you can derive the equation quickly by paying attention to the units. Good luck!

I strongly recommend canceling the test and taking it when you're ready. Medical school applications aren't something to rush into, especially not the MCAT. Rushing into a march MCAT makes even less sense in the long run. The strategy of memorizing formulas with the hope that you'll be able to know how to use them when the MCAT rolls around is really hit or miss. Memorizing formulas is important, but knowing how to use them is just as important. Equally important to those two points is being able to instantly know which equation to use, and then be able to solve any given physics problem in around 60 seconds. Spending a couple of days of intense physics review is not likely to yield favorable results. Just my .02, and good luck with whatever route you end up going with! One day you'll be sitting in your office at your practice and the MCAT will be just a distant memory.