Outside Scholarships and EFC's

Started by katiekate
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

katiekate

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have an EFC of $9000, which is a severe overestimate of what I actually have to contribute. However, I just found out I am receiving a tuition waiver scholarship worth $20,000 from my home state. My reasoning is that since this has been my effort that this can be counted as my financial contribution. That way I can still get the full government loan amount for the remaining $18,000 to cover my cost of attendance. The money goes straight to my school so it's not like I can just hand over the $9000 and use the rest for whatever I want. I hope the fin aid office works this out in my favor.

Does this make sense to anyone else?