Outstanding pre-reqs with BS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IwantPharmD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you apply to a school without all the pre-reqs and they accept you, do they ever say, "hey the only pre-reqs you didn't have was an English comp class and a microeconnomics, but since you already have a BS and those are both lower level, we'll just waive that for you" I mean theoretically I'm thinking they would still make you take it before enrolling, but do they ever waive em once you get accepted (conditionally) because if you have a BS, you've taken tons more classes that are way harder and I really don't want to go back to a community college to take them because I work full time now. Do they evaluate your transcript more once they accept you because I figured if you talk to them before you apply they will really only look to see which classes you still need and what can substitute for what. Can anyone shine any light on this matter?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

For me, some schools were willing to forgive some classes like different econ class (micro vs marco) and sub. a lower level english class for one of my more advanced ones... and other schools wouldn't allow it. So I'm sure it all depends, talk to admissions at the schools you are looking at and see what they say. Good luck!

When you apply to a school without all the pre-reqs and they accept you, do they ever say, "hey the only pre-reqs you didn't have was an English comp class and a microeconnomics, but since you already have a BS and those are both lower level, we'll just waive that for you" I mean theoretically I'm thinking they would still make you take it before enrolling, but do they ever waive em once you get accepted (conditionally) because if you have a BS, you've taken tons more classes that are way harder and I really don't want to go back to a community college to take them because I work full time now. Do they evaluate your transcript more once they accept you because I figured if you talk to them before you apply they will really only look to see which classes you still need and what can substitute for what. Can anyone shine any light on this matter?

Thanks!

I maybe wrong here, but don't you need to complete all your GenEd before you can get a BS or even a BA. I have a BS in biology and a minor in chemistry; however I had to complete all my GenEd as a requirement. Idk, maybe the requirements differ from stat-state/school-school. Anyway to answer your question yes, you can get a "conditional" acceptance w/o having completed English Comp and Eco (if Eco is required), however you will have to complete these courses before matriculation into the "school's" pharmacy program

Members don't see this ad :)
Btw, I also recieved a conditional acceptance and they wanted me to retake Calc I because I took it more than 5 years ago. I have taken
Calc I-III ( I was a Chem Eng major 6 years ago and the highest math course I have taken was Statics, not statistics btw) and received A's in each class. I even scored a 98 percentile in the PCAT math section. However, the bottom line is that I have to retake Calc I this summer; regardless of my BS degree, high PCAT scores, and the amount of upper division math course I have taken in the past. I also do know that some schools will interchange lower division courses for upper division ones. For example, My 2000 level anatomy class (a pre-req for the COP I am attending in the fall) was sub for Advanced Human Morphogenesis, a 4000 level course at the University I am currently attending. However, the main reason for this interchange was b/c I had taken anatomy more than 5 years ago.

Last edited:
I have a B.S. in hotel mgm't, and speech/communications was not a requirement. I asked Creighton if any of the classes I have would fulfill it (4 English, theater...). They said "no", but since I was in the professional work force for a long time, I can try to waive out of it if I can prove I did public speaking in my job. I think it will just be easier to take the class and get an A.

It is all going to depend on which school(s) you're applying to - but if you have never taken an equivalent class, I'd be surprised if they said you didn't have to take it at all. (I've been wrong before though!).

I agree with the other posters - if you have something comparable (maybe sociology instead of psychology, or macro instead of microeconomics), you may be able to persuade them - at the same time, I know there are some schools that are adamant about their pre-reqs.

I don't think I've ever heard of any school automatically waiving pre-reqs because you have a bachelor's degree already. Yes, conditional acceptances are nearly always done (most people are still finishing a class or two the spring or summer), but I think it would be rare to go from "conditional" to "class waived".