Ouuuuch!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OnMyWayThere

OMS-III
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took my first AAMC practice exam (AAMC #3) and I am extremely screwed.

I can't make it even to a carribean school with these numbers :(

VR 5, PS 6, BS 8

I don't know what I'm gonna do but delaying til August definately shines a little light +pity+

Members don't see this ad.

You don't have enough information yet on which to base a decision.

One full-length is only a starting point, and we don't know anything about the work you have done leading up to this. A big part of scoring well on the MCAT is doing practice full-lengths.

When you have three full-lengths with similar scores, spread over several weeks, and you have been working hard and consistently over that time on your content review and your MCAT strategy, then you will have enough information on which to base a decision.

Everything you said makes sense and I appreciate your response... what would I do without people like you? :thumbup: We'll see how it goes with 4, 5 and 6 and after the other half of the studying. Thanks again.

Okay, here's the deal. Of the three sections, verbal will be hardest to improve. I think it would be a good idea to do a few verbal passages each day in the MORNING. I am struggling with verbal, too, but I do so much worse in it at night (lower concentration). Plus, the real verbal will be in the morning, so it will help you to get used to it. :)

Good job on raising the bio! That is a significant jump. You will probably be able to improve it even more before April.

I don't really have any tips for physical since that isn't my strength, either. Just keep practicing and your score's bound to go up.

Good luck! Don't worry, everything will work out just fine! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
5 weeks out is soooo much time to continue to improve. I don't think I started taking tests till 4 weeks out (except ~3 proctored kaplan ones), and I was still able to get something like 15-17 full lengths in there before the real thing. Don't worry, you'll step it up as you see what you need to work on.

jeez.

just gaining access to 15-17 representative full lengths seems like it'd be a feat in itself

I go similar result except one point more on Verbal.
I am also thinking to take the exam in August. Don?t know what to do? Less than 5wks? Oh?No..
Is anybody in similar situation?
+pissed+

Originally posted by farleyisgod
jeez.

just gaining access to 15-17 representative full lengths seems like it'd be a feat in itself

I think I took 9 or so Kaplan tests, all 6 aamc ones, and a couple BR ones. I was a little nervous towards the end because my score wasn't where I wanted it, so I kept taking more hoping that the next one would be better:) At one stretch I did tests on 3 consecutive days (reviewing them at night). That was a *little* draining.

Originally posted by MrTee
I think I took 9 or so Kaplan tests, all 6 aamc ones, and a couple BR ones. I was a little nervous towards the end because my score wasn't where I wanted it, so I kept taking more hoping that the next one would be better:) At one stretch I did tests on 3 consecutive days (reviewing them at night). That was a *little* draining.

That is just wrong. Good luck with that...I took my very first practice exam yesterday and I'm dreading the other 4 I have access to...but you're a champ.

My first full-length was PS 8 VR 5 BS 6 . Actually I prefer studying for Bio/Orgo relative to the other two sections, and since I felt confident that I could raise BS points easily whenever I study for it, I focused more on the PS and VR. My biggest problem is verbal. I should have realized that it takes much more time to improve verbal when starting with really poor English skills. First, there were sooo many unfamiliar vocabs I needed to know. Probably 1000!!! Second, I had to read over and over again to exactly understand certain passage that a lot of times it took more than an hour to do single passage and go over main idea and questions.
I am not like others when it comes to verbal. I even gave up seeking a job so that I could devote my whole time studying for the MCAT this spring,(I'm non-trad, took pre-req 5-7yrs ago) but it's not still enough b/c I was basically trying to improve verbal skills that people spend a lifetime on. Besides I was never trained to think critically, logically nor conceptually. I've always had problem paying attention when it comes to reading!! (even in my own language).

I really want to take it in April since I have nothing else to do but studying for the MCAT. So, even though I am not physcially in best shape right now due to medical reason, I sometimes have this urge thinking whether I should just get over with this crap.
I'm aiming for osteopoathic and I think I can raise my score until April MCAT enough to get into osteopathic school but even if it's possible for me to get in D.O. school w/ April MCAT score around 25-27, I prefer taking it in August if I can get above 30 when I feel more prepared..
Arggghhhh.. don't know what to do... I'm getting old and have loans to pay (28 yr-old with NO real particular job experience except bunch of clinical work/intern/volunteer and a master degree that doesn't pay $#!t) and want to move on with my life!!!!

Originally posted by ornis4
That is just wrong. Good luck with that...I took my very first practice exam yesterday and I'm dreading the other 4 I have access to...but you're a champ.

I don't know if it's something I could recommend to others because it was terribly inefficient time-wise. I was motivated by a lot of fear and anxiety, and I wasn't doing anything over the summer except that and some lab work. I ended up getting a 37 so it was all worth it to me.

If this helps you, herea re my scores on the aamc practice tests and the dates I took them... Let's just say drastic improvement isn't an overnight thing.... but it's definitely possible.

03/14/2004 5R 62% 60% 73% (8P, 7V, 10B) 25
01/31/2004 4R 47% 52% 71% (6, 5, 9) 20
01/29/2004 3R 71% 55% 68% (9, 6, 8) 23
06/05/2003 3R 52% 55% 69% (6, 6 , 9) 21