Over 30 years old applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amberleigh

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody here who is over 30 years old and got accepted to dental school. Would you mind telling me your story?

I am 37 years old and a Pharmacist. I moved here from the Philippines 4 years ago. First I want to pursue medicine but after serious thinking about it, I decided to pursue dentistry instead, for a lot of reasons that I could not state here, unless you want to talk to me privately, that's fine. Anyway, if you don't mind I would like to hear from you and that would be appreciated.

Thanks and have a good day.

amberleigh

Members don't see this ad.

amberleigh

Many students who are over the age of 30 do get into Dental schools, but they are a small fraction compared to the overall Dental class, maybe 5-10% in some schools or even less in others. However, there is no age restriction when applying to Dental Schools, if you have the qualifications to be competitive then your age wont be an issue. Schools want to see applicants the can handle their curriculum, and they determine that at the interview.

I personally dont know anyone who is in their late 30's in Dental School, but I have seen one or two over-40 Dental Students at schools I have visited (they could have been post-grads). We can all go through a career change at some point in our life - having your Pharmacy degree will help you to be more competitive and will also help you go through the first couple of years at Dental School sciences. In any case, you should speak to the schools you are interested, they will be interested in helping you to become a Dental student more than your age.

Good Luck

That is encouraging and promising!Thanks.

Oh I see, you are from Boston. Are you at Tufts or BU? I actually live in Billerica. Right now am still taking some of the prereqs at UMass Lowell. I will be taking the DAT in summer but I will apply to the 2 schools I mentioned before that. Would that be a good idea? I mean applying before taking the DAT? Because, I still have to purchase DAT prep materials. What I have right now are the MCAT books, the EK and the green Kaplan book. Although, someone said I can study those, which I already did some of it.

Well, thanks though for the insight. Have a good day!

amberleigh

Hey there,

You are definately not alone in your quest to go back to school. I have a good friend of mine who is starting this summer in the class of 2008 who is almost 38. Another friend is starting who is 33 and one applying next year is 34.

As for the DAT's....I'd apply before taking the DAT's and have some time to study this summer. Try to take it and have your scores in so your in the running for the first batch of interviews, etc (so..late Aug..early Sept maybe). Get the Kaplan book....study it and know it, use Barrons for PAT (ONLY PAT!!) and TopScore by Scholarware for extra test taking practice tests.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Zimaad is right - take your time for preparing for the DAT now, and take it soon and apply early.

I live in Boston, and was in the same shoes as you were. I started Pharmacy school and decided to change my career focus to Dentistry. I think you made a wise decision, you have your options open for both professions.

Good Luck again,

While an undergrad, I heard of a med school applicant that was in her mid 70's :eek:

Well, nobody can accuse this woman of being in it for the money.

blankguy said:
While an undergrad, I heard of a med school applicant that was in her mid 70's :eek:

Well, nobody can accuse this woman of being in it for the money.

I guess that school was short on cadavers that year :laugh:

Beam of Light said:
I guess that school was short on cadavers that year :laugh:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I am 34 and starting dental school this fall. Have been an audiologist for the last seven years. I feel that my application was very strong due in part to my experience in the healthcare world. Your pharmacy background will be to your advantage. Be prepared in your interviews to give valid reasons as to why you are making the switch. That was always a hot topic in my interviews. It will be a great career. Don't let your age deter you from your goal.

my .02

swiminh2o said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I am 34 and starting dental school this fall. Have been an audiologist for the last seven years. I feel that my application was very strong due in part to my experience in the healthcare world. Your pharmacy background will be to your advantage. Be prepared in your interviews to give valid reasons as to why you are making the switch. That was always a hot topic in my interviews. It will be a great career. Don't let your age deter you from your goal.

my .02

I am 32 right now applying this summer, and yes, I have concerns about my age. But, as someone mentioned earlier, I believe there is a small percentage of older students being accepted, however, if you are a qualified candidate, age won't be much of an issue.. at least I hope so. I feel confident that I am qualified and will be accepted somewhere, but I have to do great on my DAT this summer in order to feel re-assured of my qualifications. Good luck and I also agree that with your pharmacy background you have an advantage over many of us older students.

I'm 30 years old and applying this summer for the 2005 beggining class. The several dental schools I have talked to said that they could care less about age.

Granted there are fewer 30+ students being accepted every year but that's probably because there are fewer 30+ students applying than other age groups.

One of the admissions deans told me that if anything he thinks it will be to my advantage being older as long as I have the grades and DAT scores to go with it. He said that older students sometimes have a little easier time with interviews because they have more real life experiences to draw from when answering difficult questions. Also he said from what he has seen maturity isn't typically an issue with older students.

I wouldn't worry to much about it. Just work at keeping your grades up if still in school and study your hind end off for the DAT's!

Anyway that's my two cents worth.