Over the counter caffeine pills for endurance and energy while studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lexswift

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I have read many recommend caffeine pills (from a store like CVS or Walmart). I feel like I've been spending way too much on coffee so I'm considering buying caffeine pills from a store like CVS or Walmart instead. I also hate having to go to the bathroom too often because it takes away from study time.

Do any of you have any particular brand recommendations?

Thanks!

-If this question isn't appropriate for this forum, please feel free to close it. I thought it would be okay to ask as many have recommended it on other threads.

Members don't see this ad.

From a pharmacological perspective, caffeine is a terrible drug for studying. I won't go into much detail here, but unless your sole purpose is to get a short perk up, it's not a good choice. Also, going from coffee to pills can be really different, so definitely don't try it on an important day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

From a pharmacological perspective, caffeine is a terrible drug for studying. I won't go into much detail here, but unless your sole purpose is to get a short perk up, it's not a good choice. Also, going from coffee to pills can be really different, so definitely don't try it on an important day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Interesting because I have heard it's not that much different from people who have tried both. And that they preferred tablet form due to the reasons above.

I am a huge coffee drinker so I don't mind caffeine. I want to try it out now and see how it goes so I don't have any surprises on test day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Drop the drugs. Except weed.

Reactions: 1 user
Ever try brewing your own? I buy a $4 tin of coffee and it lasts me around 2-3 weeks. I drink a cup a day consistently for years. I've tried caffeine pills in the past, but sometimes the kick was hit and miss for me, not sure if it was the brand or not.

I also hate having to go to the bathroom too often because it takes away from study time.
This is the most premed thing I've ever read in my life.

I bought a giant thing of Folger's coffee about four months ago and I'm still working through it. It cost $8. Get yourself a cheap coffee maker for like $10-15 and a thermos, and you've solved your problem. Losing an extra two minutes on bathroom breaks won't keep you out of medical school.

Reactions: 3 users

I bought a giant thing of Folger's coffee about four months ago and I'm still working through it. It cost $8. Get yourself a cheap coffee maker for like $10-15 and a thermos, and you've solved your problem. Losing an extra two minutes on bathroom breaks won't keep you out of medical school.
Also look into a 50ft extension cord so you can bring your laptop to the restroom without any study interruption.

Reactions: 6 users
Ever try brewing your own? I buy a $4 tin of coffee and it lasts me around 2-3 weeks. I drink a cup a day consistently for years. I've tried caffeine pills in the past, but sometimes the kick was hit and miss for me, not sure if it was the brand or not.

I drink multiple cups a day and am often not home all day (I prefer to study in the library). I mean I really want to fix this issue now because I don't want to have to go the bathroom multiple times during my test. I'm more concerned about that.

Have you try just washing your face, stepping outside, or get a bit of a nap during study breaks? Even a quick workout/jog if possible if the library is on school campus? Caffeine can only do so much. How long are you studying in a day? It sounds like you're doing 8+ hours if you need multiple cups.

I've tried a brand of caffeinated chocolate called Awake chocolates. They may be the secret to my MCAT strategy

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I drink multiple cups a day and am often not home all day (I prefer to study in the library). I mean I really want to fix this issue now because I don't want to have to go the bathroom multiple times during my test. I'm more concerned about that.
I'm not going to lie, a caffeine-induced full bladder is what kept me focused on the MCAT

I'm a huge fan of caffeine pills. They're great in that you can measure exactly how much caffeine you're taking in, keep track of your tolerance, and know exactly what effect you will get when you take a certain dose. Not filling your bladder is also a big plus. I like to buy the 200mg tabs and cut them in half.

Since most people that already posted didn't really answer your question, I will. I use Prolab Nutrition's 200mg tablets. They're like $6/100 tablets on Vitamin Shoppe's website. I've seen them in-store for a bit more, but Vitamin Shoppe will price match their online price if you ask (franchise so there may or may not be a discrepancy in price).

They work great and have relatively little filler. I haven't bought a cup of coffee since.

And if you work out, they're great for the gym too.

I actually went to the bathroom during my MCAT. it turned out ok.

Vivarin (or generic). pretty cheap compared to buying coffee/espresso every day, although making coffee yourself might be cheaper.

one pill has 200 mg; a medium Starbucks Coffee has 330 mg, although you drink it over time vs. taking a pill all at once so take that comparison with restraint

I would not start with more than two at a time and see how you feel

Hey all,
I have read many recommend caffeine pills (from a store like CVS or Walmart). I feel like I've been spending way too much on coffee so I'm considering buying caffeine pills from a store like CVS or Walmart instead. I also hate having to go to the bathroom too often because it takes away from study time.

Do any of you have any particular brand recommendations?

Thanks!

-If this question isn't appropriate for this forum, please feel free to close it. I thought it would be okay to ask as many have recommended it on other threads.

lol but this

Just dont let this happen to you all

I'm a huge fan of caffeine pills. They're great in that you can measure exactly how much caffeine you're taking in, keep track of your tolerance, and know exactly what effect you will get when you take a certain dose. Not filling your bladder is also a big plus. I like to buy the 200mg tabs and cut them in half.

What brand do you get? Why do you prefer to cut them in half? I think I read up to 400 mg is OK (2 tablets).

Since most people that already posted didn't really answer your question, I will. I use Prolab Nutrition's 200mg tablets. They're like $6/100 tablets on Vitamin Shoppe's website. I've seen them in-store for a bit more, but Vitamin Shoppe will price match their online price if you ask (franchise so there may or may not be a discrepancy in price).

They work great and have relatively little filler. I haven't bought a cup of coffee since.

And if you work out, they're great for the gym too.

The reviews for that company look great. I'm going to check them out. Are the effects usually immediate in your experience?

What brand do you get? Why do you prefer to cut them in half? I think I read up to 400 mg is OK (2 tablets).

I don't think brand really matters. I've used a few different brands and they've always had the same effect. Right now I have the ProLab ones: Amazon product

I cut them in half because 200mg is often more than I need. I prefer to take as little caffeine as possible, so that I can keep my tolerance low and get a big effect when I need it (for a test, etc).

I've tried a brand of caffeinated chocolate called Awake chocolates. They may be the secret to my MCAT strategy

There was one day I was craving chocolate, after just being caffeinated by a small coffee with a shot of espresso, and I decided to buy one of these. Naturally, I scarfed the entire thing down. Not only because it was dark chocolate, my ultimate weakness, but because I thought my caffeine tolerance was high enough to handle this petty candy bar.

30 minutes later I was having palpitations and my heart was beating out of my chest in my physics discussion. I had to leave so I could try and calm myself down.

Moral of the story: AWAKE bars work very well. I would recommend trying them without intaking any other form of caffeine beforehand. Do not underestimate the fact that they are chocolate bars!

There was one day I was craving chocolate, after just being caffeinated by a small coffee with a shot of espresso, and I decided to buy one of these. Naturally, I scarfed the entire thing down. Not only because it was dark chocolate, my ultimate weakness, but because I thought my caffeine tolerance was high enough to handle this petty candy bar.

30 minutes later I was having palpitations and my heart was beating out of my chest in my physics discussion. I had to leave so I could try and calm myself down.

Moral of the story: AWAKE bars work very well. I would recommend trying them without intaking any other form of caffeine beforehand. Do not underestimate the fact that they are chocolate bars!

There's two types of Awake chocolates. One is the bars and each one has 100 mg (1 cup of coffee) while the other type is individually packaged pieces of 50 mg each. I prefer the chocolate over the pills (much more delicious).