Over the Phone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Budder

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone called to check on his/her status and been told the school made a decision but they can't tell you over the phone? Does this usually mean rejection or are they trying to be careful with what they say over the phone????? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Budder said:
Has anyone called to check on his/her status and been told the school made a decision but they can't tell you over the phone? Does this usually mean rejection or are they trying to be careful with what they say over the phone????? :confused:

no, yes.

Budder said:

yes and they said they mailed the mysterious decision 3 weeks ago -- has yet to hit my mailbox. They cite slow mail service over holidays.

Members don't see this ad :)
Budder said:

The latter--it's a "liability" thing. There's no way to verify identity over the phone, and they don't want to inadvertently deliver information to someone who is posing as you...and then allowing that person to act on that info--in the manner of cancelling your interview or declining your acceptance without your knowing. As I learned at one of my interviews, it's happened before.

I agree that not providing application status over the phone is generally a liability/privacy issue. However, it's not necessarily a good sign when they said that they have mailed you something but are not at liberty to tell you over the phone. For example, I called the University of Vermont last year to check on my status and they told me that something had just been mailed to me and to expect it to arrive soon. Growing a little optimistic, I asked the woman what it was and she said that she could not tell me over the phone. So I anxiously waited a couple days for the mail, only to receive a nicely worded pre-interview rejection letter.