• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Site Updates Coming Soon

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Overall Chances-MSW Programs

CampDeeds

2+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2015
  1. Psychology Student
Hello Everyone!

I wanted to know my chances for Grad School. I went to an info session the other day and I panicked. I wanted to make sure that either my GPA or some form of experience that I have gained will get me through.
I have noticed that a majority of Social Work Programs are 3.0 worthy and so I want to know if I should go with what I have or do something to raise my GPA.

Details:
I finally got my Bachelors in Psych from Cal State Northridge with a cum. GPA of 2.94. I calcuated the last 60 units and it says I got a 3.02. I am now preparing to get all my MSW applications squared away. I have yet to take the GRE( but I am planning to ).
Right now I have looked at:

CSUN
USC
CSULB
University of Washington
San Jose State

among others. Right now the only experience I have is doing Depression/Suicide Awareness with college students via a program called the Blues Project and right now I am working with two kids with Autism. I also have some slight Public Health experience doing an internship before I graduated so IDK if that helps.

So my questions are:
1) Will my GPA be good enough? I honestly hoped and prayed the last semester would go great like I planned but it didnt which is where I feel my GPA lies. I have heard that LORs, GRE, and a stellar personal statement might save my life but IDK whats true or not so where do I stand?

2) If not what are my options? like I said my goal is to take the GRE and see what happens and hopefullyI score in a pretty good range. Is there a way I could take some classes to boost my GPA perhaps?

3) Is my experience okay or do I need more? Some programs say at least a year of experience. Some don't mention a time frame so am I good?

Hopefully someone can answer this for me. After the info session and my constant research, MSW and doing social work is calling me in and I want to make sure I have all my cards right.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
About the Ads
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.