Overall Chances-MSW Programs

Discussion in 'Mental Health and Social Welfare' started by CampDeeds, Aug 9, 2017.

1. CampDeeds

Psychology Student
    Hello Everyone!

I wanted to know my chances for Grad School. I went to an info session the other day and I panicked. I wanted to make sure that either my GPA or some form of experience that I have gained will get me through.
    I have noticed that a majority of Social Work Programs are 3.0 worthy and so I want to know if I should go with what I have or do something to raise my GPA.

Details:
    I finally got my Bachelors in Psych from Cal State Northridge with a cum. GPA of 2.94. I calcuated the last 60 units and it says I got a 3.02. I am now preparing to get all my MSW applications squared away. I have yet to take the GRE( but I am planning to ).
    Right now I have looked at:

CSUN
    USC
    CSULB
    University of Washington
    San Jose State

among others. Right now the only experience I have is doing Depression/Suicide Awareness with college students via a program called the Blues Project and right now I am working with two kids with Autism. I also have some slight Public Health experience doing an internship before I graduated so IDK if that helps.

So my questions are:
    1) Will my GPA be good enough? I honestly hoped and prayed the last semester would go great like I planned but it didnt which is where I feel my GPA lies. I have heard that LORs, GRE, and a stellar personal statement might save my life but IDK whats true or not so where do I stand?

2) If not what are my options? like I said my goal is to take the GRE and see what happens and hopefullyI score in a pretty good range. Is there a way I could take some classes to boost my GPA perhaps?

3) Is my experience okay or do I need more? Some programs say at least a year of experience. Some don't mention a time frame so am I good?

Hopefully someone can answer this for me. After the info session and my constant research, MSW and doing social work is calling me in and I want to make sure I have all my cards right.

Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Shrink1982

Psychology Student
    Social work grad programs are not very difficult to get into and I don't know of any that require the GRE. If you can explain in your personal state the reasons for your GPA, you should be good.

FreudianSlipper likes this.