Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

overall status

Discussion in 'Pre-Optometry' started by thericeman, Jan 6, 2009.

1. thericeman

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    Hello everyone. I'm fairly new to this so I thought that I'd give a shot at posting something about my status. I've become attracted to the field of optometry and am Science-Business major at Notre Dame.

I'm currently a sophomore going into the second semester with science grades: (-- = not yet taken)

Gen chem 1: C+
    Gen chem 2: --

Orgo 1: C
    Orgo 2: C

Bio 1: C
    Bio 2: --

Physics 1: --
    Physics 2: --

My overall GPA seems to be lingering around 2.7
    I am also playing varsity golf, which means I also do have a huge commitment outside of class and studying.

Is there any hope still?
    If yes, what suggestions would you guys have for spending my summers? (shadowing, research, volunteering, OAT prep courses etc)
    My summers are somewhat limited because I do have to play in golf tournaments.

ANY help/advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks! And happy new year

2. tresrisque

2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    You were able to take both Organics without taking Gen Chem 2?

I don't know, it sounds like you're putting golf as your #1 priority. In my opinion, I think you cut down on golf. Your GPA is a little bit low. However, it doesn't mean you have absolutely no chance. Try to raise your GPA to at least a 3.0. With the next science classes, study a lot harder & I think you should be fine.

3. eheaps

2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    I took both orgos before gen chem 2 as well. Was the first class to do so at my school. Anyways, yeah try to get a couple science A's to balance out the GPA and bring it up. You might have to cut down on golf as was mentioned to bring your focus.

4. achirum

5+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    Thinking back on things, I don't remember taking Gen Chem really aiding me in O Chem. But as was already mentioned, you have to boost your science grades if you want a real shot.

5. hurricaneuro

hurricaneuro SUNY c/o 2014
    2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    For everyone who keeps asking these questions about how they think they will compare, just go here and then factor in your shadowing and extracurriculars. I'm sure that link has been posted already, but it's very useful!