Overdressing for "informal" events at MD/PhD Interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ejay19955

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that many schools have dinner or night-out events with current students where they say you should dress informally. Well, I guess that means business casual, but in an effort to reduce my baggage, I am thinking about not bringing my business casual attire and wearing a shirt, and suit pants (so maybe not a tie and the suit itself). Is this okay? I mean, how will this be looked upon?

I will be bringing my comfort clothes (just a t-shirt and shorts) though for after the interviews.

I guess this might have to go to the men's interview clothing thread but I love this forum more so trying this one first haha.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I've been to a few of these events and remember them as an interviewee. Everyone there gets that many people are traveling from across the country and people are extremely unlikely to judge you based on your attire. It's also pretty common to see a few people still in their suits because they don't have a change of clothes or don't feel like changing.

Worry about your own convenience and comfort on this one.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm glad I'm not the only one worrying about this. @Electricity, your comments were very helpful, thank you.

I now have two of these informal dinners coming up and I was hoping for some more thoughts from the ladies.

I'll probably stick with a skirt that isn't a suit although I get cold very easily and Detroit is unlikely to be warm in October. I just don't have any pants that are between suit and jeans.

I know I'm overthinking it, but more feedback from what others have done or are planning to do would be great!

@inky I wore jeans and a blouse (not button up) on the days I could change for the dinners with current students, and there were no raised eyebrows/ I didn't feel out of place. Wear what you feel comfortable in :)

If it is informal, just wear jeans and a collared shirt. Of course, if time doesn't permit, it's not like you are not going to get in if you are still in your suit. However, I should mention that I am on the admissions committee at my school, and there is always one every interview cycle that overdresses at these things intentionally and it is obvious. Don't be that guy.