Overnight hospital shifts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmaSex

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious to see how other hospitals structure there overnight shifts and pay. It seems like a bunch make you work for 70 hours but pay you for 80. A lot of hospitals seem to have smaller differentials but give you those free hours.

Where I work now I actually have to work the full 80 hours. I get a solid differential (15%) during the week day and another 10% of base pay added on during the weekend which makes an average differential of 18% for every hour I work. I get a decent amount of PTO as well per paycheck. My other buddy works 70, gets the 80, and also includes a differential.

What are your hospitals like? Do they give you other incentives to work the night owl shift? Also, what are your actual starting and ending times?

Members don't see this ad.

Ours are 8 on, 6 off. Not sure exactly how much the differential is. Probably in the 10-15% range.

We have 2 night shifts - 2000-0630 and 2300-0930

The set schedule is a perk - you can plan a vacation months in advance without having to worry about competing for pto

Ours are 8 on, 6 off. Not sure exactly how much the differential is. Probably in the 10-15% range.

We have 2 night shifts - 2000-0630 and 2300-0930

The set schedule is a perk - you can plan a vacation months in advance without having to worry about competing for pto

I like those shift times a lot. I work 8:30PM to 8:00 AM. I would rather come in a bit later so I could eat a proper dinner during the week. No so sure if I like the 8-day week though...

Members don't see this ad :)
I like those shift times a lot. I work 8:30PM to 8:00 AM. I would rather come in a bit later so I could eat a proper dinner during the week. No so sure if I like the 8-day week though...

There's advantages to both shifts. But I agree, the later one is less prohibitive to having some sort of life. On the rare occasions I have worked An overnight, I've found that it was nearly impossible to stay awake waiting for everything to open up. With the later shift you can have 10am appointments and everything is open when you leave, even if the sun is Quite brutal.

7 on 7 off (10 hour shifts) work 70 get paid for 80 - plus $8.50 an hour dif - about 15%

7 on 7 off (10 hour shifts) work 70 get paid for 80 - plus $8.50 an hour dif - about 15%

You know, seeing that so many people get these free hours makes me real jealous lol. That would do wonders for free time during the week for me.

7 on/7off 12 hour shifts, paid for 80 hours a week with a differential on Sundays.

7 on 7 off. Work 70 get paid for 80. Thursday through Thursday. 2030-0700

12% differential but no PTO

If I had my ideal shift it would be work 70 hours/pay for 80, 2200 - 0800. With a differential. Getting free money is always enticing lol

Currently 4 10s, no tech. Responsible for dosing recs for new admits, ER discharges, codes, etc... No tube system. On the weekends, all the dayshift people rotate. Differential is 10%, with an extra 20% on weekends. Paid 40 hours for 40 hours of work.

They are switching to 7 on/7 off and 1 tech...but who knows when they'll hire the people to do that.

Until January we work 7on7off 10 hr nights with 11.5% differential plus an extra 20% differential for our 20 weekend hours. 2200 to 0800. Paid for 70. We get the same ETO as the dayshifters which for me is around 8hrs per pay. We were just notified that in January they are changing our base differential to a flat rate of $2.25 with an additional $2.50 weekend differential for those 20 hrs. Cutting the ETO accrual in half for the 7on7off staff specifically. Plus of course our insurance premiums are going up as they are now salary based.

7 on 7 off. Work 70 get paid for 80. Thursday through Thursday. 2030-0700

12% differential but no PTO
no PDO?!?!?! wow - that sucks - ours don't even have to use a full 80 hours of PDO when they take a week off-- only 70 essentially they turn their 8 weeks (320 hours of PDO) into 9 weeks off

no PDO?!?!?! wow - that sucks - ours don't even have to use a full 80 hours of PDO when they take a week off-- only 70 essentially they turn their 8 weeks (320 hours of PDO) into 9 weeks off
Yeah it's weird, but compared to CVS where I came from i still get way more time off during the holidays.

Currently 4 10s, no tech. Responsible for dosing recs for new admits, ER discharges, codes, etc... No tube system. On the weekends, all the dayshift people rotate. Differential is 10%, with an extra 20% on weekends. Paid 40 hours for 40 hours of work.

They are switching to 7 on/7 off and 1 tech...but who knows when they'll hire the people to do that.

Wow! No tech? That's harsh. I couldn't handle the pressure if being by myself for 10 hours and knowing that everything relies on you. I had my stint in retail where it was mostly like that but when people's lives are actually on the line, that setup would make me double check my professional insurance coverage lol

Until January we work 7on7off 10 hr nights with 11.5% differential plus an extra 20% differential for our 20 weekend hours. 2200 to 0800. Paid for 70. We get the same ETO as the dayshifters which for me is around 8hrs per pay. We were just notified that in January they are changing our base differential to a flat rate of $2.25 with an additional $2.50 weekend differential for those 20 hrs. Cutting the ETO accrual in half for the 7on7off staff specifically. Plus of course our insurance premiums are going up as they are now salary based.

They are really screwing you over! Going from 11.5% to a flat $2.50! That's a real cut in pay! And cutting the your PTO for just for your shift I feel is discrimination, you should really fight that one. I would start looking for a new position in another health system. Do you work for a small hospital? I ask because those cuts are pretty severe.

They are really screwing you over! Going from 11.5% to a flat $2.50! That's a real cut in pay! And cutting the your PTO for just for your shift I feel is discrimination, you should really fight that one. I would start looking for a new position in another health system. Do you work for a small hospital? I ask because those cuts are pretty severe.

Yeah it's a small system and I work at the mid sized hospital within it but also verify for the smallest hospital since they don't have anyone on staff overnight. We have 114 beds and they have 25. With the losses and assuming our normal yearly raise remains 3% I won't make my 2015 pay again until 2021. We're trying to discuss it with administration. Needless to say I'm definitely looking into making a move.

Yeah it's a small system and I work at the mid sized hospital within it but also verify for the smallest hospital since they don't have anyone on staff overnight. We have 114 beds and they have 25. With the losses and assuming our normal yearly raise remains 3% I won't make my 2015 pay again until 2021. We're trying to discuss it with administration. Needless to say I'm definitely looking into making a move.

That really is not fair. If the hospital is having serious financial trouble, then paycuts should hit everyone (I worked at a hospital once that gave everybody, and that was literally everybody in every department, a 5% pay cut. It wasn't fun, but at least it was fair.)