Overthinking 4th Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunealoneal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3rd year here. Good luck and congrats to the people matching today!

I think I'm overthinking my 4th year and doing a bad job strategically planning things. I'm a DO student, 233 Step 1, bottom third rank, mix of High Pass, Honors and one Pass for my rotations so far.

We have no home programs or sub-I's. My rationale for 4th year was to sign up for rotations to make up for that. My 3rd year ends at the end of July, so I have one rotation available to get a good letter from an outside place. I was thinking about doing an anesthesia or critical care sub-I at another institution at that point to get a letter.

I also wanted to break out of my geographic area. I don't really have roots anywhere, so I was thinking about doing some aways in anesthesia-run critical care units or advanced anesthesia rotations in different cities I would love to live in for 4+ years.

Am I going about this the right way? Maybe I'm unnecessarily lacking confidence in how I look on paper, but I'm also afraid it'll look silly if I have a bunch of critical care and anesthesia sub-Is for my 4th year.

I've searched this forum pretty thoroughly, so I'm sorry if I've missed if this has been covered before.

Members don't see this ad.

3rd year here. Good luck and congrats to the people matching today!

I think I'm overthinking my 4th year and doing a bad job strategically planning things. I'm a DO student, 233 Step 1, bottom third rank, mix of High Pass, Honors and one Pass for my rotations so far.

We have no home programs or sub-I's. My rationale for 4th year was to sign up for rotations to make up for that. My 3rd year ends at the end of July, so I have one rotation available to get a good letter from an outside place. I was thinking about doing an anesthesia or critical care sub-I at another institution at that point to get a letter.

I also wanted to break out of my geographic area. I don't really have roots anywhere, so I was thinking about doing some aways in anesthesia-run critical care units or advanced anesthesia rotations in different cities I would love to live in for 4+ years.

Am I going about this the right way? Maybe I'm unnecessarily lacking confidence in how I look on paper, but I'm also afraid it'll look silly if I have a bunch of critical care and anesthesia sub-Is for my 4th year.

I've searched this forum pretty thoroughly, so I'm sorry if I've missed if this has been covered before.

Sounds like a fine plan.

Pick a couple places you'd like to match and do aways there.

Get those sub-I rotations done early and take some time to chill.