overtime: a myth???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doublestufforeo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So...a....why do I keep hearing "overtime's hard to come by these days"? I'm hoping on capitalizing on that deal...to pay down student loans.

Members don't see this ad.

So...a....why do I keep hearing "overtime's hard to come by these days"? I'm hoping on capitalizing on that deal...to pay down student loans.

it's probably hard to come by in hospitals because of budget cuts/ the economy. In retail.. i imagine there's still overtime available in areas of shortage.

If I were you I would be thankful if I could even get a job after graduation. In my state alone, there are now 5 pharmacy schools compared to the 2 that existed when I was in school. Most hospitals and retail pharmacies are on a hiring freeze as well. This year they only took new grads that have previously worked for the company and took out company loans. They won't even guarantee them 40 hours/week and they send them to stores 30-45 miles away. I've heard from a few pharmacists who want to pick up overtime as well, but get denied because they would cost the company too much money.

It isn't as sunny as it used to be.

Members don't see this ad :)
Overtime is rare now. Besides the bad economy and a lot of floater pharmacists, you cant get overtime because they base your hours over 2 weeks. If you work one extra day in week 1, you work less in week 2 and etc.

I comb through our OT reports on a biweekly basis; goal is to see absolutely ZERO hours....and this is for our 50+ non-salary employees. Pharmacists are exempt employees, therefore no opportunity for OT.

For every hour of OT, have to send up an explanation to corporate for why it was necessary. We do really good though, even with 9 or so current openings, including a recquisition for another pharmacist. As a manager, you have to get creative with the schedule, be efficient, and plan wisely.

back in october out hospital cut out all overtime and asked everyone to take voluntary PTO and had a hiring freeze. In April or May the hiring freeze was lifted and the hospital said we would be getting raises. This month and july are the only months there have been lots of overtime since I have been at this hospital which is about a year. I am trying to work myself silly with as much overtime as possible since I don't know how long it will be available.

Last month I worked a stretch of fifteen 12 hour shifts in a row and right now I am in the middle of twelve 12 hours shifts. I work nights though. Glad woman have babbies, helps me get more money.