Overwhelmed by this all, is that normal ?

Started by kornphan
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kornphan

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am in my 1st year, I am doing fine but this w/e I feel like I am completely buried and overwhelmed by it all. I have Histology exam tomorrow, disection in the afternoon and lots of studying to do.. I see other kids in my class going out and having fun.. so is something wrong with me to just stay in my room and study ?..

Is this 'normal' for 1st year med students to 'goof' off ?.. I work hard because it was very hard for me to get into a US med school so I dont want to blow it... but I also see other kids not studying like me... so what gives ?.. btw.. I am not a nerd, I just want to give the best effort....


Thanks for the support (I know I can vent off here 🙂 ...
 
If by 'not blowing it' you mean getting top 10% of the class then you need to know that you don't need to be in the top 10% to be a good doctor.

You should have had your first exams to give you an idea what medical school will be like in terms of how they pass/rank you.

They say in medical school there's no way to learn everything they teach you. That is not true. It is possible -- you just have to sacrifice sleep and fun.

I play a lot, but I study too. I'm not in the top 10% of my class but it's okay because I feel that I've learned the material well. I think it is important to enjoy life and school at the same time.

If you're studying a lot and barley/not passing, you should ask your school for help. They will provide you with a tutor or work with you through your tough courses.

ps. I know the feeling of kicking ass after weeks of intense studying. It's great. But it only lasts for a short moment before the next set of exams. It's not worth it IMO. 🙂
 
Hero, sounds like you have teachers that have distilled what you need to learn!😉 Not everyone is so lucky. And you are so right about not needing to be in the top 10% to be a good doctor.

Kornphan, sounds like you need some time off. It is great to study hard, but you are human, and need breaks. Set yourself a schedule where you give yourself some time off now and again.