Overwhelmed...I need help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ray Of Light

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got this book by Kaplan thats 900+ pages and I'm totally overwhelmed. There is soooo much info to read. How much am I supposed to read each day? Do I stick to one subject each day? Please give me some advice on how I should tackle this monster. Thanx.

Members don't see this ad.

So I just got this book by Kaplan thats 900+ pages and I'm totally overwhelmed. There is soooo much info to read. How much am I supposed to read each day? Do I stick to one subject each day? Please give me some advice on how I should tackle this monster. Thanx.

if you have AIM, private message me your screen name, and I'll talk to you about it.

you need to calm down... i would have a plan... study 2 subjects at a time....for example, if studying 3 hours a day...you could split it...1 1/2 orgo and 1 1/2 rc...something like that...

you have to be organized....don't freak out...I set aside a time each day that all I do is dat studying so its built into my day... you have to take baby steps.....it takes a while... good luck
-ld

i was overwhelmed when i got the kaplan book too...i thought there was no way i'd be able to go through the whole thing.

my advice is to go through it 4 chapters at a time...4 chapters of bio, 4 of gchem, 4 of ochem, repeat.

highlight concepts or definitions you feel are important while going through it.

then when you are done (it really wont take that long, if you give yourself enough time to study), go over it again, this time just reading whatever you highlighted. the second time will go by really quickly.

if you go through it once you are good to go...if you can go through it twice you are GOLDEN!

no stress, you can totally do it...like everyone else has said, baby steps, a little bit everyday and you will get through it in no time

best of luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Go through each topic in the book and rate it 1 to 5, with "1" = I know nothing about this to "5" = I know this so well I could teach the class. Then start working through all your "1" topics, then 2's, 3's, etc. For some reason, this made it really manageable for me (I took the MCAT, but it's the same idea.) Plus, if you run out of time, the stuff you don't get to is the stuff you already know best.

Also, try to commit to a certain minimum amount of studying every day. For me, it was two 30 minute blocks. Again, this made it seem manageable. Often I would get absorbed in what I was studying and actually spend much more time, but personally I have a hard time committing in advance to studying for a several hour block.

Good luck to you!

You're like me Ray. Try not to stress out too much. It will not only not help you, but set you back so you got to try to stop stressing.:)

Break up each sci section into equal parts. The orgo has fifteen chapters so do three a day for five days. Read, summarize each chapter on a piece of paper,make flashcards. Repeat till done. Reread everything. Divide the chem up into equal parts. Read, summarize each chapter, repeat till done. Reread everything. Divide the Bio into equal parts. Read, summarize each chapter, supplement the plants,taxo,evolution,origins of life,ecology,animal behavior with Schaums, repeat till done. Reread. Go through the math, take notes of concepts you have issues with and write formulas down. Start taking practice tests. Itemize what you are getting wrong by subject and go back to your books and retake notes on what you get wrong(you should be developing quite the stack of notes by now,haha). A few weeks before your test, retake all notes(this helps me to hammer things into my head-maybe itll help you?). Good luck.